Rockin Raiders Ready-to-Wear

Yay, alliteration!

I was taking a trip to Hancock Fabrics a couple of weeks ago and I made my way over to their remnants area, of course. I always have to stop by the remnants, as I have already made a few things just from the leftover fabrics, such as this jacket and this shirt...

So whilst perusing my favorite section, I noticed a few football team scraps in the giant bin o'remnants. I kept digging until I found them; the Raiders! There were 2 remnants in there! Holy crap, I almost squealed out loud when I found them! For those of you who are not into the NFL, the Raiders have the best fans: period. No one quite dresses the part such as a die hard Raiders fan...






Wait, wha...?

So anywho, I am taking these scraps and making a birthday shirt for my momma, who is in fact a Raiders fan.

First, I decided which shirt pattern I was going to use and how much I had in the way of remnants. I had plenty for the pattern I chose!! So I began to cut out my pattern. I thought she might like the Simplicity 2147 pattern, as it had sleeves and was a longer top, which we both like. But I had a slightly different idea for her shirt. I didn't want it to be Raiders overload, as I was trying to make something she might be able to wear to work. So I decided on making the yoke and sleeves plain black and the body of the shirt in the Raiders pattern. So I began to cut! After cutting out the body of the shirt (front and back), I began to notice something strange... Me, in my infinite wisdom and ability to pay attention and follow directions, forgot to lay the fabric out to where the emblems would be facing up and down, not side to side. And thus, this happened... I was making a 'nailed it.'



This was to be the front and back of the shirt. :| So I checked my pile and noticed that I had just enough to make the front of the shirt face the right way, but the back was going the way of the 'nailed it.' I then looked around for some plain black fabric. Wouldn't you know, I don't have any. Weird, huh? So I had this old black stretchy dress that I was going to re-use in some way, shape or form, so I laid it out and cut my yoke and sleeves from the skirt portion of the dress.


Peaches helped, of course. :)

I didn't have quite enough black to go around, but since this was a very cool feeling stretchy fabric, I simply stretched it out on my board and pinned it in place. Then I cut. It worked out just fine and I had enough fabric!

Sewing on the yoke and the body of the shirt was a piece of cake. I gave it a nice hem and voila! Here is the finished product! I hope she likes it! :-D

Comments

Popular Posts