Mon Voiture Est Cassee

Ok, I know the word for car is voiture, but I am too lazy to look up the word for truck. Close enough.

Today has been an ok day, but the last 2 days have sucked so hard. Oh so hard. Tuesday was just shitty at work, and then I came home expecting to have a better night, only to burn dinner. Yay. :| Wednesday began with another kick to my lady-balls with the truck breaking down on my way to work. I had thought something was amiss when I got in to leave and the truck was still not warming up. I always scrape the windshield instead of relying on the defroster, so I was at least able to see. Normally about the time I get down Old Nashville Highway the truck has warmed sufficiently enough for me to direct the heat towards my chilly toes. I was wearing peep toed heels with a skirt, so my feet were a bit frosty. So I switched the 'heat' to my feet and proceeded to drive towards my destination. All it was blowing on my tootsies was arctic air. I kept thinking 'any minute now it's going to be hot air... any minute now...' But alas, I got nothing but polar bear breath.

Upon turning down a few more back roads, I noticed that my truck was indeed heating up, but not inside the cab... inside the engine. She was overheating. I didn't start to panic, as that gauge would go from cold to moderately warm and then back to cold all last spring. I just figured that it was repeating that pattern since it was in the 20s for the first time in 7 or 8 months. But when I rounded the next hill and it was only getting hotter, I knew I had to stop. One time when Keith was driving us home from work in the Camaro, his oil pressure tanked. It just dropped to nothing. He immediately pulled over and told me to always pay attention to my gauges and if the oil pressure drops or the temperature goes up to high, stop. He pulled onto the next street and we had to have her towed home. So when I noticed that she was getting too hot and not getting cool again, I knew I had to pull over. I was near the fire department on One Mile Lane, so I pulled into the empty lot next door. When I got her to stop, I started to hear a strange geyser sound. Thar she blows!! She was pissing antifreeze all over the ground. I shut her down and proceeded to call Keith and work to tell them I would not be making it in. Keith came to get me and only had about 2 minutes to try to diagnose her before he had to get to work. Whilst waiting for him to show up, I sat freezing my feet off. The sun was not quite up and there was still no heat in my poor truck. When he finally showed up, I was shaking with cold. It was awful. He took me home and went to work while I thawed back out. I swear it was a half hour before I could feel my toes.

An hour or so later, I called the tow truck and had my neighbor take me back to my truck. The sun was up, so I knew it wouldn't be that cold while I waited. An hour later I get a call from the tower asking if the keys were in my truck for him to use when he gets there and I cheerfully told him "I'm in the truck!" He started to flip out. "Why didn't you tell me you were there with the truck?!" Even though I had sent my location along with a friendly 'can I get a tow home' text. But whatever, I had my book to read while I waited. Plus, I wasn't too keen on getting a ride from a stranger, so I wasn't looking forward to any of it. But we had used the same guy when the Camaro was towed, and he remembered us. He drove me and my poor truck home and shortly thereafter my husband in shining armor came home from work early. He had gotten all of his work done super fast so he could come help. He's only worked at his job for about a month, so asking for a day off would have been weird and possibly risky. He likes it there a lot. I would hate for them to be like "Omg, he called out in his first month... Ax him!" So he went in and at least got all of his work done and was able to come diagnose the patient. And her diagnosis: We don't know! haha. We thought it might be the radiator cap so we got a new one and more antifreeze and sent her on her way. So this morning I warmed her up for 15 minutes and then felt the upper coolant hose. Once it got warm, I left for work. The whole way to work it flirted with getting warmer, gauge wise, but there was no heat in the cab at all. Again. My hands were frozen when I finally got to work, gloves aside. I'm guessing now it's the thermostat, but really who knows. We won't get a good chance to look at her until this weekend, cause by the time we get home, it's starting to get dark. Yay winter! :|

So we shall see this weekend. )( <-- that's my crossed fingers, btw. :)

Comments

Popular Posts