Sewing a Vintage Pattern on a Vintage Sewing Machine- Episode 1


Woo! It's been a hot second since I made a post. I've been working a ton and sewing a lot, but I just haven't wanted to jump on the computer and put my thoughts to words on a screen. Until now...

This post is complimentary to my first ever YouTube video! In it, I sew Simplicity 5891 on a Singer 337. Both are roughly from 1965-66. I feel like I missed some stuff in the video so I thought I would put them here. 

I was thinking of making a pros and cons list for the pattern and machine. For some reason I forgot to add that, so I present to you my pros and cons for the machine and pattern!


Simplicity 5891:

Pros: 

1. Pretty easy to follow! I've been sewing for around 7 years so I'm no beginner, but I think even a complete beginner could tackle this. It only has 8 pattern pieces, with options for a slim skirt or a full skirt and also options for sleeves or no sleeves. The instructions are also very straightforward. I've sewn some patterns from the 40s and some of the steps are very confusing and the pictures don't help, either. I'm not the best seamstress ever, but it's a rare day when I'm stumped. This pattern is very user friendly.



2. The fit. I absolutely love when a pattern fits me without any alterations. It's rare but it's awesome when it happens! This one fits beautifully with maybe a little extra room. I'd take that any day over being too small. The main issue is my measurements. I'm 36" bust, 30" waist (26" with the waist cincher) and 43" hips. With vintage patterns (and some modern ones) the hips are quite a bit smaller than my own. I always have to measure the paper pattern and alter the hip area to accommodate my, uh, posterior. Since I made the full skirt version, I don't have to worry about that! The pattern envelope says it's for a 36 bust, but I've made some patterns that have my size and they're too small, so I always measure the paper pattern pieces just in case. 

Cons:

1. No pockets. It's not a big deal, because a lot of vintage patterns don't have pockets. I just almost always add them to my dresses. I actually forgot to add them on this one so I'll have to go back and add them on to the side seams. 

2. The state of the paper. This pattern is old, so the paper is in a state of degradation. It's not as bad as some that I have. I've got some patterns from the 20's that are literally falling apart. I'm not sure where they were stored, but the instructions were so bad I had to scan them when I got home because they were falling all over the floor. It was awful. This one is ok as far as the instructions go, but the tissue paper itself is a bit worse for wear. It might also be since it was donated and pre used. Again, not a big deal, but something to expect when using old paper. 


Singer 337 Sewing Machine:

Pros: 

1. The stitches. This thing stitches beautifully! It's a straight stitch machine but it can also do a zig zag stitch in a few different widths. It can also sew in reverse which is cool for a vintage machine. Apparently not all older machines do reverse or zig zag. It sews wonderfully.

Ooh... stitch options.


2. The color. OMG. It's so freaking pretty! When my husband spied it he knew I would buy it. I love blue and green and this is both! Aaaand it came with a matching case. It's stunning. I know that's a pro for me. 

Cons:

1. The weight. I don't mind how heavy it is, but it's got some heft to it. My modern machine is pretty light and it's plastic. I love the weight because I know it's an all metal machine. But I can see how some people would dislike the weight. 


2. The foot pedal. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad pedal, per se. It's just odd. Instead of being one large piece you push down with your foot, it's a small button. I have sewn on this machine for a couple of months and it took me a while to get used to it. 


Odd button...


**Overall it's a great machine and a great pattern! I'll probably use this machine the most out of all of my vintage machines. Is it because it's teal colored? Quite possibly. But it really is a top notch machine. I have taken apart all the machines I've gotten to give them a once over when I get them home. I feel like that's my favorite part; maintenance and cleaning. I have been toying with the idea of learning about sewing machine repair. It's fascinating to open one up and see what's inside. I love it! But anyways, I would highly recommend the Singer 337 machine and Simplicity 5891 pattern. 10/10

Comments

Popular Posts