Rainy Days Are For Sewing...

... and tea. I am sitting at work earlier with nothing to do, drinking a cup of tea, and all I could think about was sewing. You see, I have that Simplicity pattern with the peplum top on it, and I had an idea. I'm not a giant peplum fan. I don't think it flatters everyone. I don't think it's going to flatter me, but I've never actually tried one on. So, with a few choice remnants in hand, I sat down to ponder. I have these 2 remnants (of unknown sizes, thanks to a very sweet husband who washed them all for me and accidentally threw away the remnant paper) that appear to be cotton. One is this lovely dark turquoise...



and 2 different sized remnants of this lovely flower pattern...


I was thinking a bit crazily (no surprise there) and thought about making the collar and peplum skirt part the same fabric, and then the rest in a complimenting fabric. I thought the two look lovely together, so all I needed to do was to decide which fabric went where. It was not hard, as I had more of the flower pattern than I did of the dark turquoise. Upon ironing them all out and measuring to the best of my ability, I found out that I had almost 2 yards of the dark turquoise and a little over 2 yards of the flowery print. But I decided to only do the dark turquoise and maybe make the collar out of lace. Since this is my first peplum, I don't want to go too crazy or I might not give the shirt an honest shot.

I got to work cutting out my pattern pieces, which was fairly easy. The actual construction was also easy. All in all, this was yet another simple project. The only issue I had was that I did not pay attention (who, me?) when it came down to the zipper length. I had a 7" brown zipper that looked so lovely against the dark blue. And it was not an invisible zipper... it was going to have that exposed, industrialy type look. However, when I tried to put it on and it wouldn't go on, I decided to actually read the instructions and that is when I noticed that I needed a 22" zipper. So off to Hancock's I went... again. And as luck would have it, they had the same zipper in a 22" size!! Woop!


So on went the zipper and it then came down to the moment of truth... and I am happy to say that it fit great and I now like peplum! The only thing that I still need to do is to attach the collar, which was a bit too short to go all the way around. I think it looks ok without one...


But I am going to try to make one a tad longer and see how that looks. I also have some magnetic snaps, so I was toying with the idea of making interchangeable collars. If I'm feeling flowery, I can snap on a blossom collar. If I want to look more dolled-up, a lacy one might fit my fancy. We shall see... :-D

Comments

Popular Posts