Dye Candy

So I have only used dye twice on clothing, and the first time was a huge success! I had a lovely little pink skirt and a white shirt and I dyed them a nice light green. I wanted them a bit darker, but for my first dye I think I did pretty well. And it was fun! I took a big bucket that I bought from Lowes and did the dyeing in there. This time I used the same bucket, but it was not as fun as the first time.

For starters, I was doing more clothing this time, so the whole process took a bit longer than I was hoping. And this time I wanted dark blue, so I mixed these two together...



I was kinda winging it, as usual, so I didn't measure out anything. I just dumped both bottles into my hot salt water. Either way they could possibly come out would be a change from what went in, so no biggie if they came out all wonky. This time, I was dyeing another white shirt, a pair of pink reversable shorts, and 2 remnants of this cute pink, white and gray chevron.



I'm not that into pink, so I thought perhaps I might wear said shorts if they were darker. I love that shirt, but I am tired of it being white. And the chevron might end up being a present for my momma, but she's not into pink, either. Also, the chevron had a bit of a stain on one of the remnants, so I thought if I dyed it, it might hide the stain.

Into the dye bath they went! Since I did not feel like sitting and stirring for half an hour to 45 minutes, I stirred for about 5 minutes and I made sure all the fabrics were completely covered by the bathwater. Then I went to make dinner. By the time dinner was done and consumed, it was almost an hour later (because honestly I had forgotten about it) so I went to complete my dye job.

This is where I started to not have fun, but I am blaming it on my husband. Sweet as he is, he thinks doing anything dye related in our washer will leave it permanently stained. To humor my beloved, I did all the rinsing in the tub, which was a nightmare. I did my rinsing in the sink with my green batch, and that was pleasant enough. But it just seemed like this dark dye would... not... come... out...

I finally got them to the point where it looked like it was almost 100% out, and then I stuck them in the dryer. Whilst they were drying, I went to clean the tub for the second time today. I had a clean streak in me earlier and cleaned the bathroom... only to make it dirty again. But the end results were worth it!




So they came out a little more purple than I was hoping for, but I cannot see the weird stain in my chevron remnant anymore! And I just love how the shorts turned out! The shirt was a little mottled upon closer inspection, but I love the dark new change from the stark bright whiteness of before. A dye job well done!

Comments

Popular Posts