Sewing Club

I find the lack of sewing enthusiasts in Tennessee disturbing.


(Not my picture, but very amazing)

Well, more like the lack of knowledge of any sewing enthusiasts. I'm sure they are out there... somewhere. I recently discovered a possible sewing club, so instantly my ears perked up as if someone had said 'fabric sale'. I was trying to find a local place to fix my sewing machine, which was not really broken (we'll get back to that) when I stumbled across the MidSouth Sewing Center in Murfreesboro. I had also been looking for places to take sewing classes because frankly I am sure there is a lot I don't know. I read a lot, so I usually stumble across lots of tips and helpful hints, but nothing beats a room full of sewers bouncing ideas off each other.

Upon my search for classes, I found a few things I did not like. First off, some of the classes are in Nashville and they cost a small fortune, so I would have to drive a good bit and pay a good bit. Also, some of their classes are on week days, and unfortunately I work a full time job and have no free week days. They do have some good sounding classes, though. Another thing I was unenthusiastic about was that most of them are run by nice older ladies who sew children's clothes. I do not sew children's clothes. I just want to sew my own clothes and the occasional gift for someone. There is a place in Smyrna that has lessons, but its either on quilting, which I also don't do but might get into in the future, or kids clothes. Don't get me wrong, I like kids. I just don't have any close at hand that I want to sew for. Nor do I really have any desire to sew kids clothes.

So that leads me back to the MidSouth Sewing Center. Whilst on their website, I noticed something about checking their calendar, so I did. THEY HAVE A SEWCIETY CLUB! Here is the description for their Sewciety Club:

'You are invited to attend our SewCiety Club Meeting. We generally meet the first Saturday of the month. We have loads of fun, food and giveaways. We would love to see something your working on or have made so bring it with you for our show and tell. We look forward to seeing you!'

Yes!! Where has this been all of my life?! Their meeting for January was cancelled because of so many people being sick, so I am going on the first Saturday of February to see what all the hub-bub is about. Unfortunately, and this is what I was talking about earlier, most of their classes are during the week. Which leads me to believe that it might be mainly older ladies, which is fine with me, except for the fact that they have all day to go to these meetings and I have to go to work. Boo. Mayhaps one day I can run a sewing club or something on the weekends or week nights. It could be completely virtual so anyone can watch anytime! I just don't think I know enough about sewing to host such a thing. But boy, wouldn't that be something!

As for my non broken, broken machine. So if you have a Brother SE400 (which is amazing, btw) You'll notice how the needle area moves either to the left or right for the first couple of stitches. Stitch 1 and 2 are both to the left slightly and stitch 3 is dead up in the middle, which I prefer. So shortly after I received this machine for Christmas last year, the carriage area that holds the needle was not moving when I selected stitch number 3. It was not a big deal, but it was frustrating. So I sat down with the manual to see what could be done to fix it. So I looked and for some reason the stitch width was set to 0.0 on stitch 3. I went in and changed it back to its default stitch width and BOOM! It moved!! Problem solved! I was about to plop $100 down on a servicing that could take 7-10 days. Its the little things... :-D

Comments

Popular Posts