Mullet Skirt

First off, this is how much I excite Big Moo...

Yeah, she's thrilled...


And I can't leave out Little Man. He is unimpressed with my bodysuit makeover. I bought this thing from American Apparel and it barely fit over my apparently way too short torso. I have a tank that I wear under everything that I stitched a snap closure thong to that I took off a bodysuit from Victoria's Secret. But I thought I could do something similar to this one and have 2 to wear. The other one has a lace neckline, so this one could be for less fancy days. I unpicked the hem from the crotch (what an awful sounding word) and have yet to decide on how to make it more wearable. Its just nice to have an undershirt sometimes. Especially one that stays tucked in all the time.


Ok, so I went to finish that mullet skirt and I had decided on making the yoke a contrasting color, so I dug through my remnants and found this purple-ish swatch. It looks pretty nice against the slightly shimmery grey. The only thing I dislike about the grey is that it is a wrinkle meister. No matter how much I iron, that shit wrinkles like its 1999.


I went ahead and attached the yoke to the top of my skirt, as shown. It wasn't anything major except that it was a bit too long on the other side, but I knew a way I could use that to my advantage. Bwa-haha!


I started to hem the bottom of the skirt which took freakin forever. I then remembered why I disliked this skirt pattern in the first place... Its a very twirly skirt, which is lovely, but there is so much to hem at the bottom! All in all, the bottom hem measured 4 yards. I had to hem 4 yards! By the end of that, I was about done for the night.


I put the skirt on my dress form, Esmeralda, and checked the fitting some more.


I think it looks good!!! Exactly as I pictured it! I wanted to choose a special type of closure for the back. I had taken a zipper off of a very old pair of my husband's 'too holey to repair' jeans, so I threw that on there, but for the yoke, I wanted something kind of different. So I went digging through my notion drawer, which is jam packed to the brim...


This is after I took out a ton of packaged bias tapes that I had gotten for my birthday. Still full. Anywho, I kind of wanted velcro to attach the slightly longer yoke in the back, like a fold over flap thingy. Wouldn't you know it, but among my zillions of notions, I have no velcro. I swear we have some in the house, but I couldn't begin to guess where. So in the mean time, I did this:


I had wanted to do a couple of hook and loops but I am still not 100% sure. At least it lets me know that it fits well when I tried it on last night. So if I end up removing them, I might go with magnetic snaps or something in the same spots. I put a magnetic snap on a top once and I like it a lot. Its easy and I can really make it look snazzy with them being slightly hidden in the yoke.


And check out these babies! Mom and I got them at Hancock's because I didn't have a decent pair of little snips. And they're shaped like a bird!!! 100 bonus points!!

Comments

Popular Posts