Discontinued Sale

McCalls/Butterick/Vogue/Kwik Sew is(are?) having a discontinued sale. So naturally, I bought some patterns! I am only 10 away from 100 patterns, and with the purchase of 6 more from this sale, I shall be only 4 away! Once I receive them (oh please be soon!) I will take some pics. In the mean time, I wanted to talk a bit more about the online sewing class I am currently taking.

The class itself is ok, but so far the instructions for measuring yourself are pretty crappy. I downloaded the chart and even the pages showing where to measure, but for something that is supposed to be exact to your measurements, they are kind of vague on where to measure. They show a picture of a mannequin with some dotted lines on it. Later, after you turn in your measurement homework and you move on to the videos, they mention how you could put some tape on yourself to help get more accurate lines when you measure. Woulda been nice to know before I did all that measuring last week. Anywho, for some of the measurements they are specific, such as "3 inches below waist" or whatnot. But some of them that you use a lot, like the neck line, are not specified. Where should I place my tape on my neck? An inch above my collar bone? You do a lot of measuring from your neck to your shoulder, neck to your waist, etc. And the numbered worksheet that accompanies the pictures of the mannequins are all kinds of wrong. There are two number 13s and there is no 21. Number 8 just says "strap" with a picture of a measurement from your neck to your armpit. But again, where on the neck and where at the armpit? It literally just says "strap" with no instructions. At least most of them give you some sort of clue, like "measure from your center back to your side seam." But no... just "strap."

When I went on to the videos in lesson 2 on how to make your sloper, my arm hole was all kinds of wrong. No wonder, with such vague instructions. I mean, I'm still kind of new to sewing, but I do know when I see very complicated instructions. So my husband and I sat in Spider Town last night, me covered in tape, him measuring and taking my numbers down. I had tape all over me. Hopefully when I go to attempt my bodice sloper again, it won't be so bad. We spent the good portion of an hour talking about how to make their crappy instructions better. I kind of want to type them out and send them in, but someone already complained about their complicatedness to no avail. The videos themselves weren't bad, and making the first draft of my sloper was pretty easy, except that the arm hole was wrong. I'll take pics on my next sloper attempt.

For now, here are some pics of the idiots...

Comments

Popular Posts