Scarfing it Down

So, I made a scarf the other day. Well, 2 scarves. I had this remnant that was just big enough to cut in half length wise to make 2 scarves, so I did it. They are a little short for what I had in mind, but I wore one all last week and it was just fine. I folded them with right sides together and sewed along all 3 loose sides, leaving a little room for me to turn the scarves right side out. Then I sewed the hole closed, not trying to make it look pretty. The end results were just fine.


It's got moose and elk and bears and crap on it! :D

But for the scarf I wanted to make as a Christmas present, I wanted it to look damn good. I had these 2 remnants from Hancock Fabrics that I had dyed a couple of months ago. They originally were a light pink and gray chevron, but they were dyed for 2 reasons.
1. I'm not that into pink.
2. They had a small stain on them that almost looked like rust.

So into the dye they went! My younger self should have been screaming inside my head when I was adding the dye, but I must not have heard her, as I added a whole bottle of both black and dark blue dyes. The items all came out a dark purple, not a dark blue like I had envisioned. What did we learn about mixing colors? Apparently, I didn't learn anything. I'm also not that into purple... So, when we did secret santa at work and I drew a name, lo and behold!! I drew a woman who likes purple! I thought about making her something before today, but I wasn't sure what. Then this morning I couldn't sleep and was thinking about sewing whilst laying in bed. I remembered my purple remnants and knew that today was the day to open my scarf pattern that I scored for $.99.



The pattern I wanted was pattern D: the infinity scarf. The pattern called for a loop and button closure where the scarf ends meet, but I wanted it to be one whole piece, you know, like infinity. I sewed according to (super easy) directions and came out with one long chevron scarf. Nice enough, but I wanted it to be infinity without the button closures, so I had to figure out a way to close it up. I also had to give it another wash, as it still held a dye smell, and I wasn't about to give that as a present. So after a nice wash and dry, she was good as new and smelling of a mountain breeze!

I still needed to close it up, so I ironed it out and made it nice and crisp. Then I hand stitched the ends together using an overcast stitch and when I was done I pulled on the opposite sides a little to make it more of a flat seam. It worked really well, but it looked awful.


bleh...

I finally decided on covering the stitch with 1 row of buttons on top of a little strip of ribbon. I was considering using a bit of lace or just plain ribbon, but I thought the buttons would look nice with the chevron. So I sewed them on both sides and I think it turned out nicely!



Secret Santa gift done!! :D

Comments

Popular Posts