Christmas Wish List

Ok, so my list is pretty small. I really didn't want much this year, which is the same every year. I usually like more practical gifts, but here and there I do enjoy a frivolous gift or two. This year my list was short. I wanted a pair of pearl earrings (fake, of course, to match my fake necklace) and I wanted a book that I already own, The Fiery Cross. It's part of this amazing series, the Outlander series. I have all of them in hardback except for this one. I don't mind that it's a paperback, but it's missing a sizable chunk of pages which annoys me to no end when I'm reading the series again. I've read it a number of times before and am currently reading it again as a new book is expected in June and they are making this amazing collection of books into a tv series on Starz. I am wary but excited about the tv series, as I have loved these books and I have seen what horrors they can do to books when made into a movie. Hopefully since this is a series on tv, they will be able to stick somewhat true to the books. It should be on Starz in the summer, which is perfect since we watch almost nothing in the summertime, as we are outside all the damn time. This will give us something to watch. My husband is curious as to the tv series and how well or not well they do. I read a lot, and when we watch a movie based on a book that I have already read, the husband is always full of questions.

"Did that happen in the book?!?"
"Does any of this seem familiar?"

Like when we watched World War Z... Great book. Amazing book. Would love to see them make it into a tv series, as there were so many interesting individual points of view on the whole zombie apocalypse. That is something they should make into a mini series... like hard core. The movie, however, wasn't anything like the book. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent zombie movie. But the husband told me 'ok, let me know when you see or hear something that was in the book.' and I maybe said 2 things. It just had so many different views and takes on the whole apocalypse that it would be hard to put into a movie. Anywho, the husband is game for watching my series with me as he knows of my love for it. It's awesome! There is war, time traveling, love, Scottish dudes. What more could a girl ask for?! But best of all, it's very well written. The author, Diana Gabaldon, is a very good writer. Pick up anything she has written for a very good time. That sounds vaguely creepy... moving along...

I also want a mortar and pestle. I have some herbs growing, like lavender and calendula and would like to make infusions and the like. I tried with the calendula, but I believe I had the wrong variety. I followed the instructions for making an infusion, but it came out barely smelling of marigolds. I thought perhaps if I could grind the dried herbs, it might make a more potent smell. I have not tried with the lavender yet. I also want more herbs and things to cook with. I love to attempt to grow things, and I have a new garden idea for the spring already in my head, so more herbs that I could use in everyday cooking would be the shit.

Lastly, and I am certainly hoping the husband paid attention to this, would be the sewing machine of my dreams. Ladies and gentleman, might I present to you the Brother SE400



I have done some research and upon further review I have decided that this is the machine for me. The husband and I have been talking about embroidery and this machine does not only regular sewing, but embroidery also. The reviews are very good and for the money it can't be beat. It also comes with a ton of little accessories, like a seam ripper. I already own a seam ripper, but I cannot find it to save my life. I literally tore my sewing room apart yesterday looking for the stupid thing. It's bright red! How the hell did I lose it?! Anywho, it would kill 2 birds with one stone if the husband were to happen to get this machine for me.

I very much hope that I find my seam ripper before then, as I am in the middle of making a shirt for someone for Christmas. I messed up sewing the front to the back at the shoulder seams (like a boss). Yesterday was one of those kinda days. I think both the husband and myself woke up on the wrong side of the bed. We weren't grumpy towards each other, but while I was trying to sew he kept hearing me yell at inanimate objects and I would hear him yelling at inanimate objects in the other room. Neither of us were having a good day, so we both quit what we were trying to do and played video games with each other. It helped a ton. :)

My problem was that, bar the sewing machine, I knew what I wanted for Christmas months ago and I told the husband right then. I think the only part of my list he will remember will be the sewing machine and possibly the book, since I just finished reading it and was bitching to him about the missing pages. Plus, it stands out on my book shelf, being the only paperback from that whole series. And the sewing machine I only noticed about a week ago. I have been prattling about it like Ralphie from A Christmas Story talking about his Red Ryder BB gun. So those should be fresh on his mind. The sewing machine would be more than enough, not to mention I found it on sale for under $300. Boom Shaka-laka! Plus, with the increasingly large quantities of fabric I have been accumulating these past few months, one would assume he would buy me the machine if only to help me reduce the stockpiles of fabric. "Here, have this machine. Now go sew something and make some room in your drawers!" They're literally stuffed with remnants and patterns. I have too many patterns now. I know I have too many because there is a stack on top of my sewing dresser that will not fit into my allocated pattern drawer. Perhaps when I empty out one of the bigger drawers I will make it into a pattern drawer. My ultimate goal is to not have a ton of stockpiled fabric. I hope to only go to the fabric store when I need a specific fabric for a specific patten. But that is waaay to hard for me when they have sales all the damn time. C'est la vie!

Comments

Popular Posts