New Years Resolutions

Happy New Year!! It's that wonderful time of year again, folks. It's New Years Resolutions time! A time to make and/or break promises. I don't usually have anything profound to promise myself on New Years Day, so this will be about the same as any other year. I do have a couple of resolutions, but as I said before, nothing monumental.

1. Pay down my debt. This will be the focus of my life for a few months. I have a bit of debt and I am not happy about it at all. But I do have help, and for that I am extremely grateful. My husband took some time off from work and I was the sole breadwinner for a little over a year. While at first it was stressful, it slowly became less and less stressful and more empowering. I would listen to songs about women being in charge and it would make me feel better. I never really felt bad. I mean, I didn't have to worry about him driving anywhere and possibly getting into an accident (I worry a LOT) and dinner was always ready when I got home. I'll admit it was pretty nice. So now that he is employed again, we are going to work on paying down some of my debt. If we were really hardcore about it, we could do like this couple did. While I love the idea, we have a very, very old cat... so living in a tent for 8 months is not feasible at this point in our lives. Maybe someday, though.

2. Finish a lot of my sewing projects that I started and then lost steam on/ Get my sewing room organized. I have a pile of things in my sewing chair that simply need to be completed. It's not hard, but I find myself wanting to start something new rather then finish an older project. Why? I have no idea. Either way it will be something new for me to wear, so I don't really know why I keep putting them off. So before all else, I must finish all of the things in my to-do pile. I simply cannot start something new whilst they sit by and watch... and also because I sit on said pile, since it is in my sewing chair. It's highly uncomfortable. And if I ever misplace something, the husband's go to response is 'Have you checked your chair?'

That being said, I also need to organize my sewing room better. I got a lot of awesome sewing stuff for Christmas, so I have to find a way to organize all my accessories and threads in my small space. I will also be trying to work through a lot of the fabrics I have bought over the past 6 months or so, which should free up some dresser space. With luck, I can maintain my patterns in the top 2 small drawers, notions and things in the first large drawer, yard and knitting things in the second largest drawer and fabrics in the last 2 large drawers. I have no knitting things yet, as I received a 'learn how to knit' kit from my awesome momma for Christmas. I can tell you, however, that I am already addicted and am planning on purchasing yarn and honing my 'craft'.

3. Lose a little more weight. Last year I ended up losing 15 pounds over the course of like 6 months. I wasn't 100% focused on losing weight, but I was trying to be a little better. I didn't want to workout cause I'm lazy, so I just ate less. But not even a whole lot less, more like instead of 4 cookies, I'd have 3. Instead of second helpings, I would wait until I actually felt hungry before eating again. We eat pretty healthy already, and I was still eating whatever I normally ate, but just slightly less. I love to eat! I would hate to cut out foods altogether just to lose some weight, so I took to eating just a little less than I normally would. And you know what? It started to come off! I'm sure if I had the motivation to exercise and really cut back on foods, I might lose faster. But I also have read that if you do those crazy ass diets, it sends your body into a kind of shock, making you more likely to binge when you don't see results immediately. I didn't see results for a month. I got sad. But I still pressed on. Soon, my pants started to feel less tight and I was ecstatic!

So about 4 or 5 months ago I stopped eating less and went back to my old eating habits. I maintained the weight I had lost, so I didn't want to keep losing. I had also read somewhere that you should do the 'plateau system' where you lose a little weight and then stop trying to lose to get your body used to your new self, so to speak. So I initially wanted to lose 15 pounds, which I have done. Now I'm wanting to do down another 5 to make it an even 20 pounds lost. I'll go back to my 'eating slightly less' plan after the holidays and see how long it takes for those last 5 pounds to go bye-bye. I'm not doing it for any other reason than wanting to be a little bit healthier. If I can go back to my same old eating habits and maintain my weight without gaining it back, why not get to a nice healthy weight and stay there, while also still enjoying the same foods? I gained all this weight a long time ago with my ex. He used to eat a lot, so naturally I would eat with him and almost always as much as he did. We would split a whole pizza. We went out to eat a lot. So when we broke up and I met my now husband, I didn't even think about my weight. My husband is amazing and fell in love with me at my heaviest weight, so my losing weight is not for him. It's not for anyone but myself. He is happy when I am happy and supports whatever I do. I just want to get down to a healthy weight while still enjoying all the foods I love. I did it before, I can do it again.

So, I guess that's it. Here's to 2014!! (takes a celebratory shot)


Yes... that's a Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer Operation game that we turned into a drinking game. :D

Comments

Popular Posts