Just Peachy Shirt

I have had this remnant for ever and finally decided to make a shirt out of it. The only problem was that my sick kitty didn't want me to sew. I decided to make this shirt once her highness got off the fabric. I've made this one before, but I wanted to try to make it with a twist... I wanted the yoke part to be made of lace! I love t-shirts and jeans, don't get me wrong. But when I go to work, I want to be a little dressier sometimes. I still wear jeans a lot, but I try to pair them with a fancy shirt and heels. And this fabric is perfect for my purpose, as it's a lovely color and pattern, but it's still stretchy and super soft.



So I got to work!!

I'm not ashamed to say that I still do not know how to properly cut fabric. I think my main problem is my lack of fabric, as I tend to sew from remnants. Remnants rule my sewing life right now, because whilst on a budget, using a $1 remnant to make a shirt is the way to go! So until the time when I can spend whatever I want on fabric, I am stuck with remnants. My issue with this fabric was the stretch, or lack thereof. It is a 2-way stretch fabric, meaning it doesn't stretch every way. My first attempt at cutting it came out just fine, but the stretch was stretching the wrong way. Confused yet? Good. The way I had first cut it was to where it would stretch from neck to hips, not from left to right. Thankfully I had only cut out the front of the shirt, and I just happened to have enough fabric left to turn it the other direction and cut out both a front and back. And this shirt only has 4 pieces: front, back, yoke and sleeve. Since I was making the yoke out of stretch lace, I had enough for the front and back.

So after sewing the correct way, I began to assemble the shirt. Everything went just fine until I got to the yoke. For some reason, maybe the fact that it was lace and had no distinguishable wrong or right side, it kept twisting when I was sewing it to the front section and it was very loose in the boob area.



I literally had to pick the seam and re-do it twice. Did I mention how late it was when I was trying to sew? Anywho, I finally got the yoke settled and sewed the front section to the back section. It still looked kind of strange, so I unpicked it (yet again) and stuck it slightly different on the front. Since this was a lovely stretch lace and does not fray, it does not need a seam. I just made sure my edges were clean, straight lines and let it go! I might eventually put some bias piping on it or something, but for now I think it looks good!


Look at the snow in the background! We finally got snow!

I very much want to make this shirt for a 3rd time!

Comments

Popular Posts