Valances Away!

So my husband and I went to a local auction the day before our anniversary and had a blast. Everyone there was so nice and after we were all done, we were all kind of trading things with each other. "Oh, you want those baskets? You can have them! The only thing we wanted from this row was a toy box." That type of thing. On one trip I made to the truck, a woman approached my husband and asked him if I wanted the valances. He said 'why not!' so we ended up with 3 shorter ones and 1 slightly over 7 feet tall. All of them are slightly different sizes and we had thought about using one for a cat window seat since they are made of a sturdy hunk of wood covered and padded with foam and fabric.

So I spent about 2 hours yesterday removing a shit ton of staples to uncover the valances. We had wanted to use one of the shorter ones for the cats and turn the rest into some sort of shelves. Upon removing the layer of fabric on the first one, I discovered that it had been recovered. The fabric underneath was cute, as was the top piece. I did this to two of the smaller ones and moved onto the largest one. That one took forever, not only because it was over 7 feet long, but because it had 3 layers of fabric and a layer of padding, all of which were stapled on.



If I ever see another staple again, it will be too soon. Anywho, I took all the fabric and had the husband wash them all because I can't seem to throw them away. I just can't. And its really not in that bad of shape. I can make something out of them.

Speaking of 'making something out of them', I just won a couple of sewing lots on this auction site. Its the same place that did the auction we went to, just an online one instead of one at someone's house. I have to go pick up my winnings tomorrow. I am pretty excited because one of the items I won was a big roll of fabric for $5. From the pictures, it appears to be some sort of light blue interior design fabric as opposed to a fashion fabric. We'll have to see what it actually is and how long it actually is once I get it tomorrow. I also won a box full of sewing stuff. I really wanted the box itself, as I love boxes, but the fact that it was filled with sewing supplies was what really won me over. I think I paid too much for the big box, but we won't know for sure until I pick it up and go through it all. From the pictures, it appears to be a decently deep box, so hopefully it is chock full of stuff! That way I won't have such bad buyers remorse. Haha. And the third thing I won was a box of random spools of thread, because you can't have too much thread. It was only $8!! I shall inspect my winnings and report my finds.

In the mean time, I have instructed my husband to not let me back onto that site. Unfortunately I already got on there and bid on some more sewing things. I really need help... :-D

Comments

Popular Posts