Classic Pieces/ Simplicity 2154 Pattern Review

So with my new-found slightly organized self, I decided to tackle a few WIPs to help clear up some more space. I had a few on my sewing table, so I took the pink tub from the auction and filled it with WIPs from my table. Now I can simply dig around in there and grab something to work on. Anywho, I decided to finish the Simplicity 2154 top I had begun a few months ago. I'm not really sure why I stopped on this one. The husband asked if I had sewn something on inside out or some other mistake that would make me lose steam, but I honestly could not think of why I didn't finish this. O.o

First: the pattern itself. This pattern (or what I can remember of it) was fairly straightforward. I am not sure if I decided to omit the bow or what, but here sat my top with no extra pattern pieces laying around, so I guess I didn't feel a bow when I started it. I was not a huge fan of the neckline, because I prefer a lower neckline, so I took it down a little bit. I love the keyhole in the front and back! I am not a huge fan of the length, but I prefer a longer top. The main problem with this pattern was that it is not in my size, so I had to cut out the pattern, lay it on the fabric and measure inwards to make it more my size. As badly as I thought I would do, it actually turned out nice! I think it fits well and I very much want to make another one, this time with the bow and maybe some sleeves.



This will be named the Judy top because of the notions I used from an auction of a lady named Judy. I know this because she has her name on a lot of the items in her sewing box. I used both her chalk pencil (the one I bought long ago sucks but hers is awesome), a pearly button from her collection and also some bias tape. This is my first real go with bias tape and I like it a lot. I know I did not put it on 'correctly', but it worked for me. I hear you are supposed to sew one side down and then fold it over and then sew down the other side. I just sandwhiched the bias over the fabric and pinned it. I only had one small area that came out, so I consider that a win. I did not read the instructions when I took a second go at this shirt, so I'm not sure it is supposed to close in the back the way I have it, but I like the way it is.

This top reminds me of just a nice classic look. I want more of that in my wardrobe. I have a lot of t-shirts which go great with jeans, but sometimes I want to wear a nice skirt and I don't have a plain classic top to go with it. Or vice versa. So I will be looking to make more classic pieces soon.

Comments

Popular Posts