Buttercup Festival Dress Part 1

Its that time again! Once a year, mom and I go antiquing during the Nolensville Buttercup Festival, and it is approaching, so I thought I might make a dress to wear. Last year I wore this dress I made and it was a perfect day. Sunny, warm, tons of people... and I even was complimented on my dress! So I thought this year I might make another yellow dress to wear. I had bought some discounted yellow flower fabric at Hancock's...


Little Man just had to be in the shot...

I actually bought this awesome retro pattern at Goodwill and when I went to take it out of the bag it was in, there was a surprise behind it!






Two retro patterns for $.50!! I did not want to cut into my vintage pattern, so I used some of my Swedish tracing paper to trace the pattern out. I have never done this before, and while I probably won't do this for my normal patterns, I did like doing it on my retro one. The dates on the retro ones say 1975. I would prefer not to cut into them if I don't have to.

Anywho, I wanted the straps to be contrasting to the fashion fabric itself, so I went with black. I started cutting out my straps and facing in a black fabric remnant that feels like velvet. I'm not sure if it is or not. It was kind of a bitch to cut out, though, and I hear velvet is tricky to deal with. So I finally got my facing pieces and strap pieces assembled, but they were a little off. Again, it was shitty to cut out. Not only that, but my machine was having issues with sewing it down for some reason. I was just simply basting at this point, but the thread kept breaking. I was very frustrated, so I did some troubleshooting and changed my needle out. I had bought some Schmetz needles and had a universal one in my machine, but I switched to a 'stretch' needle, also by Schmetz. I had never used their needles before, but they were on sale during the Sewciety Expo, so I bought a few packs. After changing to the stretch needle, everything went smoothly. More pics to come soon!

Upon digging, I discovered this website and I have become smitten! Its a Wiki of vintage patterns, 25 years or older! Squeeeeeee!!!

Comments

Popular Posts