It's All in the Details

Details... I love em. They set the mundane apart from the uh-mazing. Case in point, my new machine comes with a bajillion built in stitches, as do most machines. I am a very simple person in that I almost always use a straight stitch. No frills here. But last night I was constructing a new shirt for an upcoming trip to the big city when I came across a small dilemma. I avoided that step in the instructions like the black plague and went on to the rest of the top. However, a point came where it began to nag at the back of my mind, so I went back. It was for Simplicity pattern (#) and it called for a bias tape on the neck line. I have no such tape. I do however have a small stash of ribbons, but none of them were suited for this purpose. So my eyes began to drift towards the face of my machine and its collection of decorative/functional stitches. After staring at a computer for 8 hours a day, I'm surprised my eyes work at all, but drift they did! And once I was able to coherently understand what I was looking at, I picked out a decorative stitch. The top is made of a very lovely flower pattern that I had been sitting on for a couple of months, just waiting for an opportunity to use it. Since I had no bias tape, I decided on using this lovely little flower stitch to hem the neckline of my new Big City Top. I am henceforth calling it that.

Here is the neckline now, with my little flowery stitch.



Midway through stitching this, our cat, Peaches, fell off the back of our TV. I heard a scuffle and my husband kept saying 'are you ok?' over and over, so I ran out of spider town only to find him checking her over for injuries. She will be 20 in May but she acts as though she is still a spry 10. We have a very old tube TV with a wide flat top. Recently she has taken to sleeping up there. She jumps on a couch and then vaults to a table and finally hops up onto the TV. Apparently she had fallen asleep too close to the back of the TV and simply slid off. She is fine, but we are not. We had tried to block her silly ass from getting up there before, since she is advanced in her years and we figured something like this would happen, but she jumps over all of our blockades. So we let her be... until last night. The only box we had that was tall enough to stop her shenanigans was the box my sewing machine was shipped in. Boo-ya, bitch! :)

Anywho, here is how she turned out! I am slightly disappointed in the overall length, but it's not horribly short.


This was made with 2 remnants from Hancock Fabrics that might have cost $2 a piece. I will make another one of these. A++

Comments

Popular Posts