Islandy Skirt

So, I love this dress that I got at Goodwill on '$1 Wednesday' on my lunch break months ago. I originally got it for Halloween, as it is pinstriped and I wanted to be a cop for Halloween. Last year when Halloween was over, I scored a 'cop kit' on clearance from Torrid that has a badge, some handcuffs and some strange finger-less gloves. Cause let's face it, every time I have been pulled over, the cop was wearing finger-less gloves. Anywho, all I needed was a hat and a dress/costume. I saw this and loved the look of it, plus it has pockets and a cool belt!

Anywho, one of the other main reasons that I love this dress so much is the big full skirt. It has a lining and everything, and it's slightly poofy, but totally in a good way. It makes me feel like a lady. It reminds me of the skirt on the 1st dress pattern that I ever attempted. So naturally when I went to make a skirt out of this very fun islandy fabric...


...I wanted it to be like the skirt part of my Halloween costume; flowy, feminine and fabulous. I had bought a Simplicity 'Amazing Fit' dress pattern with a decently long skirt, so I used just the skirt part of that pattern. Later I tried that pattern in its entirety, and it came out ok. More on that soon...


So I cut out the skirt pattern, cut out my fabric and made the skirt. It has been sitting in my 'unfinished chair' for a couple of months, so I decided to finish it. I gave it a hem and decided on a button closure. I had this rad red button, but it was pretty damn big.


I used my new machine's button hole maker on the largest setting and it was just large enough! The skirt was still a little too open, as it only had a button closure and was kind of a wrap skirt, so I pinned it in place whilst wearing it and then took it off and sewed it closed where I had pinned it. I have to say, I really like it a lot!! Since it finally warmed up to a balmy 41 degrees today instead of the 2 degree temperature that it has been for the last 2 days, I decided to pair it with some leggings and boots for a warm but cute look.

Another project out of my chair!!

Comments

Popular Posts