Stick Pin Pincushion

So the other day the husband and I went thrifting and hit all 3 thrift shops in our general vicinity. They're all in 3 different towns, so we only make the Mega Thrift Trip every couple of weeks because it's a whole day adventure. Anywho, on our last trip, we stopped at our last thrift store and I saw a hand full of stick pins behind the glass on the counter, but they were all just thrown in there. I asked the very nice lady if I could see some of them and I loved two of them. One of them was missing the bottom stopper and I didn't want to take one from one the other pins, so I took my two to the checkout. The nice lady told me that they all belonged to the same lady. We (the employee, me and another sweet older lady who chimed in) discussed how sweet stick pins are. Then she told me I should take a bottom stopper from one of the other ones. I told her I couldn't do that in case someone else wanted to buy one of the pins. Then I asked her how much they were because they all belonged to the same lady and I felt bad leaving some behind. THEY WERE $.25 EACH. I couldn't say no so I bought all 5 of them!!




The very first time we went to our newest found thrift store in Hartsville, I found a Snoopy stick pin for a quarter and that was my first foray into stick pins. It was so cute and when I found the lot of them a couple of weeks later, I just felt like I should have them. However, when I got them all home, I didn't really have a good place to keep them. I have my brooches in my jewelry box, but the pins are smaller and thinner, so I thought about storage. I looked online and didn't see much for stick pin storage, so I hopped onto Pinterest and found a very cute pincushion that was in a teacup and that got me thinking. My mom gave me this adorable box with an awesome sewing brooch in it a while back and I have been using the box for holding random notions for whatever project I'm involved in. Like, I might keep the buttons or a spool of thread for a blouse in that box until it's time to use them. So I decided to make a little pillow and put it in the box to hole my pins.




The box has a deep lid, so any pins that were a little tall would still be comfy. And the pillow has little tabs on the sides so I can get to the bottom stoppers, which I tossed under the pillow. I made the pillow from a leftover pocket that I didn't add to my ultraviolet coat and I stuffed it with some batting. They're is still room for more, although I normally don't see any while we're thrifting. Anywho, I'm very happy with it!

Comments

Popular Posts