Ultraviolet Christmas Coat

This year, I found that I had a lot of time right before Christmas to sew and I have no idea how that happened. And I have been sitting on a large amount of this purple fabric for who knows how long, so I decided that it was time to do something with it. It almost reminds me of a wool fabric, but I have no idea what it is nor where it came from. I'm guessing either an estate sale or an auction because it's one of the fabrics I've had for a long while. Most of my stuff from the last 3 years I have gotten at our local help center, so anything I've had for a while was most likely auction or estate sale.

Anywho, I've had this coat pattern for a hot second and I thought now would be a good time to try it.



I loved the collar choices and decided on view D immediately. It reminds me of a cape on a flower opening it's petals to reveal a surprise... me! Haha. This coat pattern was made for fleece, but I found that it also works very well with, uh, a wool type material. O.o

I decided to topstitch every seam because I did it on the front panels and it looked so good so then I was on a roll! And this stuff got kind of thick so I used a thick thread with a longer stitch length to make it look purdy.



Ooh, topstitching...


Ooh, more topstitching...


Flower opening cape thingy


Back view


Front view


Even more topstitching...

I decided against the pockets because it looks sharp without, but I was regretting that the first time I wore this because we drove to our families Christmases and sat for 2 hours in a vehicle with no heat in 20 degree temperatures. It got a little chilly to say the least. The only thing I disliked about this coat was the closure. It only had 2 snaps and they were only at the top, leaving the bottom to flap in the breeze. Luckily I haven't worn this much 'in the breeze' so that hasn't been an issue, but I thought about making the snaps down the front. I even put them on that way, but decided against them and put them back at the top. It never seemed to look right that way.


Interesting snap placement

Overall this is a great pattern because it was easy and fun to make and I love the look of the cape thingy. If I ever have any fleece or a similar coat type fabric, I just might make another one.

Comments

Popular Posts