Highland Tartan Skirt

I hope you said the title of this post in a Scottish accent like I did. No? Go back and say it again, this time in a Scottish accent.


Ah, that's better! Anywho, I have always been a fan of the Outlander books ever since my mom read one and loved it and passed it over to me. I didn't know about half of the 'extra' books out there until my wonderful husband pointed them out. He bought me the Outlander comic, titled The Exile. It is quite good. He also made me privy to the download only books, which I did not even know existed. He bought me most if not all of the Lord John spin off books, as well, which are also very good. One could safely assume I am a fan. So they made a show based off the books which has just passed its third episode. So far the show has some slight variations, not all of which are bad, but all in all they are doing well so far. I'm sure my husband is tired of me saying 'that's word for word from the book!' The main books consist of 7 rather large novels, so every time a new one comes out, I start over from the first book and read until I get to the new one, hence my familiarity with the first book. I've read it a few times. :)

Anywho, back to sewing. One of my riflings through the remnant drawers produced a tartan roll of light gray with a blue stripe.


When I bought it months ago, I was picturing it being the bottom half of a dress, but after watching my show, it made me long for the colder days of Scottland, where women donned long skirts and sweaters. So, a skirt it became! I first choose the McCalls Quick and Easy skirt pattern, # M3830.


I wanted a knee length skirt for a few reasons, so I chose skirt D from this multi-skirt pattern. I want a few more pieces in my wardrobe to be more work friendly. I have a few skirts and such that in all modesty cannot be worn to work, and I do like wearing nice things that I am comfortable in, so my wardrobe will start to feature more business friendly attire. Plus, I love older fashions, and women used to be more conservative but also stylish, so I want to get more into that old school way of dressing. We were watching a show about Nashville in the 50s-70s and all the women in a protest line had mid-length skirts and they all looked so classy. Lovely! I also love the quote from Marilyn Monroe “Your clothes should be tight enough to show you're a woman but loose enough to show you're a lady.” I want more classic, fitted pieces, not just something made for the masses that may or may not fit. End rant. :)

Anywho, I shook out the remnant and laid my pattern down on it. I had plenty to work with. I began to cut and assembly this 'quick and easy' skirt, and I am happy to report that it was indeed quick and easy. The only part I had trouble with was the facing at the top. I did not want anything too stiff, so I skipped on the interfacing. However, to assemble the facing as they wanted required a bit of stiffness, so when I tried to assemble it, it just did not work out. I undid the tacking that they asked me to do and just stitched it down, making a little bunchiness on the top. Nothing a quick ironing wouldn't help fix!


Crappy pic, but you get the idea... it's a skirt...

I also used this skirt to try out more of my clear thread, which I love. I ordered a case of bobbins that should be here in a few days, and I will definitely make one for the clear thread. I didn't need to use it on this, but I tried it when I was putting on the zipper and liked the way it worked, so I continued to use it for any outward facing stitches. I also stitched in the ditch for the first time ever, which was fun. My machine came with a 'stitch in the ditch' foot, and it was a breeze to use. I don't quilt, so I thought I would never use that foot. But it was wonderful. :)

I wore it today with my Rainy Days Are For Sewing shirt. The skirt fits just lovely and I love that I can wear it with a white or black top, of which I have many. I love how it looks with some knee high boots or tights and heels. I am so looking forward to fall.

Comments

Popular Posts