Springing Into Garment Repairs!

This weekend was absolutely lovely, so I took the opportunity to open the windows up and do some sewing. I really wanted to hang out outside and piddle around the yard, but its still February, so I couldn't do too much outdoors. No weeding allowed... we still have 2 months until the last frost date! So I stayed inside and sewed instead! Not only did I make 2 shirts, I fixed a few things on one of my first dresses I ever made. I loved this dress when I first made it, but I was so new and inexperienced that I really needed to go back and fix a few things on it. First and foremost would be the buttons. When I first started really getting into sewing, I basically knew how to sew a straight line and that was about it. So when I made this dress, I didn't know about buttonholes. I literally just sewed on the buttons that I had thrifted from an old shirt and then cut corresponding holes on the placket for the button holes. The results were fraying, uneven crappy holes. I wore it once, and said 'Screw it. I'll fix it later.' It has been almost a year...

The first thing I wanted to do to fix these holes



My initial thought was to find some of the leftover fabric and cut a fake placket of sorts and sew it over the old one. However, I could not find scrap 1 of the same fabric. So my second idea was to take fusible interfacing and iron that on both sides then take a contrasting fabric and sew it over the interfacing, creating a couple of layers for me to make new button holes in. I measured the placket and added a little bit onto the overall length and width for my interfacing and contrasting fabric.



I ironed on the interfacing. I then took my contrasting fabric and sewed in onto the top like so...



Then I folded it over (after a quick press to make it lay down flat) and sewed down the other side, thus giving me a few layers to sew my new button holes into. I got out my button hole foot and went to town!



I really think it came out ok. My machine sewed my new button holes without any issues whatsoever, the buttons went in as well as new buttons do and I like the white flowery silky contrasting fabric.


On to our next issue!

So I initially didn't have a lot of thread choices when I first made this, so black was used. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but on a light green dress, the stark black thread just stuck out like a sore thumb to me. So I dug through my threads and came out with a perfect match!



I went along the original seam for the neckline, but for the arm holes I tucked the seam under and sewed a new seam. The insides of the arm holes were beginning to fray a little because I just sewed a hem and left it that way. I'm still not that into finishing hems, but I'm getting better. I'm actually looking into getting some corded piping this weekend for some future projects. I have a bias tape maker, but I haven't played with it a whole lot. So I usually end up with some frayed hems as a result of my lack of hemming. More on that later.

I went back and removed the first hem, as it was still staring at me. It looked sooooo much better!



Now I can wear this again and not be worried about a button popping out of its hole!

Comments

Popular Posts