Gertie's Bow Tied Blouse

When I first looked at the New Book For Better Sewing, I had decided that I wanted to make either the Bow Tied Blouse or the Wiggle Dress. I went with the wiggle dress and loved it, so I had to make the bow tied blouse next. Aaaaand here she is!



I chose this fabric because it was slinky and I wanted a blouse that would feel comfy all year round. It is really, um, pink. I'm not the biggest fan of pink, but when I usually choose pink it is a light blush color. So this might be a wearable muslin if I can get past the pinkness of it. I do like the contrast between the black and pink, though. And the fit is wonderful, so I am very pleased with it. The arm area is big enough for easy movement, kind of like a kimono sleeve. I added the black bias tape to the sleeves to offset that pink.

The buttons were kind of a pain in the butt because I wanted to do covered buttons, but I was unsure of how far from the edge I should place them, and after careful measuring and marking, I added the button holes. But the buttons are HUGE and took up more space than I had thought they would, so they're a little too close to the edge for what I was picturing. I mean, they hold just fine and look ok, but I was picturing them differently. So for the next one I will probably use smaller buttons or move the holes further away from the edge (or both) for a cleaner look.


Eh... S'alright.


The neckline bow area part was kind of interesting because it's not part of the collar at all. Its a tie that goes through a hole in the collar and it ends up tie-ing into a bow nicely.


Noice...

The insides of this blouse aren't finished because I was just testing the fit, but I might end up finishing them because its pretty comfy with a pair of jeans. I'll have to try it with a high-waisted skirt, but right now I can't think of any high waisted skirts that I own. Hmmm... I might have to make one just for this blouse. Maybe I will make the Pencil Skirt or the Scalloped-Waist Skirt from this same book...

Comments

Popular Posts