Dyeing Experiments For Bra Pieces

So on my vacation, I had fully intended on making another bra like my favorite bra ever. I had a few different pieces of lace and the basic elements to make a bra, but not quite enough to make one that matched inside and out. I don't know why, but it bothers me to see like a completely black bra with pink channeling or something. I have made such bras because I try to make do with what I already have if I can, but now that I have made my best fitting bra and want to make another one, I wanted to go a bit fancier than plain black and make something in red. I don't really care for red, but I think it looks nice on my skin because I am pale. I don't think the husband cares for red much, either, but I have a lot of very pretty red lace from a few grab bags from Tailor Made Shop and I want to use some of them, damnit! haha.

So I gathered up some supplies and found that I had enough channeling to make another bra without purchasing more, but it is in white. The lace I wanted to use was red and gold, so I was wanting red for as many parts as possible. Aaaaand all I have is white. Like everything is white. I have white channeling, power mesh, duoplex and white hook and eyes. Argh!!! I have since decided to make a white bra with this lovely coral and gray lace that I got from Surge Fabric Shop. Man, do they have some pretty stretch lace. And I like their site because you can add up to a certain weight and the shipping stays the same. So you can get a few pieces and the shipping is still cheap. Woop!!

Anyways, before I decided on the all white bra, I had remembered that one of the very few dyes I own is Scarlet Red from RIT. Why I bought it, I have no idea. I've had it for a while, too. Like before we moved. Anywho, I took some scrap pieces from a ton of different bra making materials and had a go at dyeing them red. I watched a video of a girl using the same scarlet red to dye some white shorts and they came out bright red, which is exactly what I wanted to match with the lace. However, mine all came out... um... purple red?


Before... We have some channeling, some pleated strap elastic, some picot elastic, 2 types of decorative elastics, a piece of power mesh, a piece of duplex, a set of hook and eyes and a piece of tulle because I have been thinking about making a crinoline/petticoat in black. I have quite a bit of the tulle from my deconstructed prom dress left over, but its all in white. So I might try dying it black and using a black lining fabric in case the tulle doesn't take the dye too well.


...and after. Dude, wtf??

So I decided to try again. This time I added some salt. How much, I have no idea. These are just small parts, so I eyeballed it. I also boiled the water instead of using hot tap water and I also stirred for 30 minutes instead of 20. I also left it overnight in the bowl because thats what shorts lady said she did on her second dye job. And here are the results:


Still purpley red, just darker. Ughhhhh. I get it, this is 'scarlet' red dye, not fire engine red. But if you had seen her shorts, you would understand my disappointment.


See the pretty red and gold lace? Yeah, not even close.

I have since ordered some bright red stuff and I will make a red bra soon, but for now I am happy with the dye results because they taught me what kind of bra making items will accept the dye. Everything except the picot elastic (the second from top in the last picture) took the dye just fine! I recently bought a new kind of dye (well, new for me) from Sweet Cups Bra supply in a lovely shade of green because I feel like I need a green bra, so I will probably be experimenting with that soon. So not a completely failed experiment. That's a win to me! haha

Comments

Popular Posts