Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book

**This post was written some time last spring. Obvi I wasn't in any hurry to post it...


Holy cannoli, Batman!! So I know I wasn't supposed to buy anything this year since we moved and all, but I couldn't help it.



This book was pretty cheap when I preordered it, so I made the call. I love reading Gertie's blog so I knew I would love a book all about dresses. And it has not disappointed! This book is full of helpful hints, tricks of the trade and patterns for 23 adorable dresses! Actually, you can make a ton more dresses than what is included if you just mix and match the bodice and skirt pieces. So for my first dress was the Polka Dot Day Dress. And although this was supposed to be the year of vintage patterns, I really couldn't help myself when I saw some of these dresses. Most of them have a vintage look, so that kind of counts, right?

Anywho, this dress consisted of 6 paper pieces that you had to tape together to make the front and back skirt pieces, a couple of bodice pieces and some midriff pieces. This dress has a lovely full skirt which is even more lovely with the heavy vintage fabric that I found in our shed. Well, it's not super heavy, but it's a nice cotton. I ordered (yes, I know... Wasn't supposed to order anything...) some stabilizer from Fashion Sewing Supply because it came highly recommended by Gertie. And I can see why... This stuff is actual fabric interfacing!! It's awesome!! I applied it to the facing pieces and to the zipper area and attached the facings to the bodice pieces.



I then sewed all the pleats for the skirt and sewed the backs to the front. I forgot about adding pockets, so I had to unstitch and add pockets. I then sewed the bodice to the skirt and attached a zipper. I then tried it on and the fit was lovely!! All I had left to do was hem the bottom and voila!!



This dress is super comfy! Plus, I used my valentines day present from my husband to finish all the seams so it looks all professional inside. Buh-BAM!!




I had been drooling over this side cutter presser foot for ages and he got it for me for valentines day. We don't usually celebrate Valentine's day much because we get each other small gifts all the time, but it was extremely sweet. <3

Comments

Popular Posts