Yard Sales

So I wore my first ever vintage dress last Friday and boy was it a mistake! Ok, let me backtrack a little. The dress itself was the best I have ever made. I followed (most of) the instructions, pressed like a pro and even made a muslin (or 3) before hand. The fit is incredible and I love the hell out of that dress. I even plan to make another one! However, the day itself went from hot to hotter and my silly ass decided to drive 15 minutes away on lunch to a yard sale. I had glanced on Craig's List and saw one with 'sewing machine and supplies'. It was literally a couple of houses down from Mom's house so that was cool. But it was hot... so freakin hot. I have no a/c in my truck and was wearing a tea length, slightly thicker fabric dress. Once I got to said yard sale, I knew I would be late coming back to work so I asked the nice ladies where the sewing stuff was. One of the ladies showed me and I asked her 'How much are you wanting for this stuff?' She was like 'Uh, all of it??' and I was like 'yes, ma'am!' She told me $20 for 2 big boxes of sewing supplies that included but were not limited to tons of specialty thread, a sack ton of buttons, some fabric and other useful notions. I told her I would take it as long as she could hold it for me for 5 minutes while I ran to the ATM down the street. I drove there as fast as I could (which was not fast because of all the stupid speed bumps on the way to said ATM) and then drove back as fast as I could with slightly more than $20. I got back and asked her 'just out of curiosity, how much is the sewing machine?' and she said $30. I took it all!! I didn't have a lot of time to really look through said boxes until I got home, but from what I saw it was worth $20 for them. I then drove back to work, this time fully dripping with sweat through my slip and dress. Yay summer!

Upon inspection later that night when I got home and cooled off, the yard sale contents were well worth $20. There was an ungodly amount of thread, as if I needed more. However, this thread was pretty different. Some of it was very thick stuff and some of it was crazy color swirls and whatnot. Then there were the buttons... oh the buttons. There was a bag of just brass colored buttons and a ton of random buttons strewn in both boxes and in smaller containers. I ended up going through all of it and making a bag of 'donate-ables.' In the donate-able bag there were 2 seam gauges, a crap ton of pins, random sewing machine feet, an extra pedal, some lace, loads of needles and other random notions. I already have a ton of this stuff, so someone else should get to have it. Plus, we still don't have a house, so we have even less room now that I keep bringing more crap home. haha. Here is some of the loot from the yard sale:



On top of that, my aunt in law picked up some patterns for me at a thrift store that benefits battered women. When she told me about picking up some patterns for me, I assumed it would be maybe 5 patterns. IT WAS A BOX OF 119 PATTERNS!!! Most of them were from the 80s or 90s, but there were a couple more recent ones and a couple vintage ones as well. It took me 2 hours on Saturday morning to catalog them all. I picked out one and made a top which will be shown at a later date. So yay for helping out women and yay for sewing patterns. :)



All in all it was a good day, minus the heat. :-D

Comments

Popular Posts