I Hate Darts

I know, I know... hate is a strong word. And I stand by it... I hate darts. I was sick (and still am) this past weekend, but I still tried to sew because I am a firm believer in doing normal things while you're sick to convince yourself you're getting better. So far its not working, but I still tried. Anywho, I wanted to sew a skirt, which I did, but then decided that it needed a new top to go with it, so I also sewed a top. Both were from vintage patterns. I loved making the skirt. It was from the Simplicity 3081 vintage pattern and it was a blast.



Easy to sew and I love the pleats. I had a large swatch of red fabric, so that was my skirt. I needed a new top to go with said skirt because I couldn't get anything to really shine with this skirt when I went looking through my clothes. I just wanted something that looked like it belonged with this skirt. Lo and behold, I had a lovely little pink and red berry fabric that looked darling against the skirt, so I then went digging through my patterns for a suitable top. I came up with this one, and I'm not really sure why.



I hated this top. It might be because unbeknownst to me, it was a very large pattern that I had gotten with a lot of other patterns from Goodwill that are actually close to my size. I just wanted a plain top and this looked like a decent one. However, upon making it I was plagued with problem after problem. First off, it was too big. Not a problem, I just took it in a little. And then some more... and more. Then I thought I might move the darts to help remove the bunch of fabric around my tummy. The darts only made it worse. Like, so bad. The husband came in during one of my seam ripping rants and asked why I was making a top with darts. He knows I love a princess seam, as does he. I think they just fit so much better and look so nice, too. So after adjusting yet again, I gave up. I went to my drawer o'patterns and dug out a dress pattern that I recently made, Simplicity 3749 - aka the Claudette Dress. It has a princess seam and the finished dress fit so well, so I took the bodice pieces from the dress pattern and cut them out of the giant bodice piece from the top piece and stitched it together. Good golly, it looked so much better!



I love princess seams!


ahh... so much more fitted.


This felt so comfy all day and I definitely want to make another top to go with this skirt... and another skirt, too!

Comments

Popular Posts