Book Worms

So the estate sale we went to a couple of Fridays ago was pretty awesome. We got there right at 9 (when it started) and I walked into this house in search of the blue room. This room, in the photos provided online, appeared to be the sewing room. I finally found it and there were already 2 older ladies in there. I was slightly worried because I was going in to work late because of this sale, so I wanted to make sure the one thing I came for was still there.
I started looking in the blue room at the stacks and stacks of fabric on the tables when I heard my husband behind me say 'Oh, there are the books!' In my haste, I hadn't looked; they had been right behind me. In the pictures on the estate sale website, I saw 2 stacks of sewing books, and I wanted them. One stack was the Time Life: The Art of Sewing set, missing only 2 books out of 16. The other stack was a bunch of older sewing books, 2 of which were Nancy Zieman books from the 90s. We had brought 2 rather large reusable canvas bags, one that came with the cats when we adopted them. I stuck half the books in one bag and half in the other. Both bags had room to spare, but were heavy as hell, so I found an estate sale helper and she said I could leave them with her. I went back into the sewing room and started looking at the fabric and notions now that the main reason for our visit was taken care of.



The husband went to look around the rest of the house while I dug. I didn't see a whole lot of fabric that interested me, but I did find a gift bag full of scrap pieces for $5 that turned out to have some very nice pieces in it. I also found a pair of scissors that can be taken apart and sharpened, which is something I was looking for. The husband found a food vacuum sealer and a kitchen scale and then we decided it was time to leave. I still had to get to work! Our total was $40, which now that I think about it, it seems a little light. They only wanted $1 per book and there were 21 books total. One big swatch of fabric I did get had a $10 tag on it and the vacuum sealer and extra sealer bags was $12. That's not even counting the scissors, scrap bag or kitchen scale costs. So we ended up getting a hell of a deal. I will have to get my 2 missing books from the Time Life set to make it complete, but they aren't that expensive considering I got the rest of the set for $1 a piece. Now I just need some bitchin book ends and a room to keep all this stuff in. haha.

Comments

Popular Posts