Wicked Bird Dress/ New Look 6587 Pattern Review

Scene: My sewing room the day before Easter, 2014. I had bought tickets to Wicked for my mother and myself and the show was on Easter, their last day here in Nashville. Mom and I had read the book long ago and loved it and so we wanted to go. So I decided to whip up a dress for the occasion. I had this pattern laying around and I thought it would go lovely with this bird print fabric.




I had made this dress before, as this was my first ever dress pattern that I bought. When I first attempted it, I didn't know how princess seams worked, so I thought I was not reading the instructions correctly. 'What? How can sewing this bodice piece to that bodice piece work?!? This one is curved and this one is straight???' Yeah, I ended up calling mom a lot with questions. I still didn't trust the princess seam, so I copied the back bodice piece and just made it a lower neckline and turned it into the front bodice piece. Hey, it worked!

But this time around I knew what to do, so I constructed the dress in the correct way and it turned out beautifully. I changed a few things up a bit, like sewing the sleeves on the opposite way, making them more of a butterfly sleeve. I also made it a high-lo dress because I thought it was a bit too long. I sewed the placket down so you can't unbutton it at all, which is nice because I don't have to worry about any weird button area gaping, and its slightly too big so I can slip it over my head. I wore it with a brown belt and some cute brown shoes and I felt like Mother Nature herself!



For the record, Wicked was fan-fucking-tastic! I would go again. The cast was fantastic and the crowd was awesome and our seats were pretty good, if I do say so myself. I highly recommend seeing Wicked if it comes to a town near you. The weather was lovely that day, as well. So all in all, we had a great time... a year ago. Yeah, I'm bad with finishing posts... gimme a break! :-D

Comments

Popular Posts