Vintage Hats

I do believe I am spiraling out of control. After finding that lot of vintage gloves on Etsy for a steal, I went looking for vintage hats. I was not in the market to buy one, but I wanted to see what kinds I really liked and see what the prices would run. So after 3 days of looking, I actually bought one. Mainly because it was only $10, but also because it was in my style. I think my style is small hats. Not like those tiny top hats or even ity bity fascinators, but more like small-ish hats that are formed with wire inside to make them sit on your head kind of like a headband. Or you might need the assistance of a hat pin which I have a feeling I will be looking into next. Anywho, something like these...





They're mainly 50's styles. Pretty, simple and small. Kinda low key. I just dig that you can do something to your hair and it will still show. Plus I don't know about you, but the back crown area of my head doesn't really get styled much, so this seems like a good place to pop a cap. hehe. Anywho, I went to Etsy yet again to look for hats and came across this diamond in the rough.


Le Front...


Look at that cool shape!


Le Back. There is a veil but its pretty trashed. I hate to remove it, but there are folks out there selling vintage veils and I could just replace it and it would still be all vintage.


Its hard to tell in pictures, but the velvet crosses over in the front. You can kind of see it here.


I thought the inside looked pristine and really neat.

Isn't she pretty?! I really wanted something lighter because I thought black would be too serious, so I was searching for like a cream colored one. And boy did I find some. They're a tad pricey, but super pretty. This one in particular that I love is from the 30s or 40s and is cream colored and has a pin right in the front of this flat bow and it has a veil and everything. Obvi I'm a little obsessed. haha. Its darling, but also over $45, so yeah. I'll be watching that one for a sale for sure. I was watching the Closet Historian again and she said she typically pays $25-$45 and that was what a good chunk of them cost. I, however, am broke and cheap so I was looking for under $20 for when I actually was going to purchase. However, when I found this gal for $10, I had to buy her. I felt bad because she was a little roughed up, but she's from the 50s so you can't blame a hat for showing some wear. I just love how its got that little dip to it, like its not just a round shape. Plus, like the gloves, this was more of a recon mission. If I can wear it, cool. If not, cool. I have a really good feeling I will be wearing this one with or without the veil. I really wanted to see what vintage hats are made of and how they are made. Which leads me to my next semi-impulse, 3 day decision purchase.




Oh hai, Simon nose.

What you are looking at is a hat frame from New Old Stock, or NOS as folks like to say. This is an actual hat frame from the 1950s and are no longer in production. They have wire in them and you can decorate them in any way you see fit. I honestly thought they looked kinda cool the way they were, but I figure I will jazz it up just a tad. Plus, this was only $15 and it was in a lighter color like I had originally wanted. The same shop, NouveauHatsbySharon, sells a couple of different style frames that are all $15. There was one that I was not 100% crazy about, but it was the only one that came in a dark green, so it was a choice between the 2. The yellow won out because I could adorn that with something light colored and have a light hat which I thought might go with more things in my wardrobe, like one of my favorite yellow and blue floral dresses I made. The green would have been a guilty pleasure because it was a really bitchin shade of dark green. I might have to go back for it if this yellow one goes well. The seller is a milliner who took over a hat making business in Chicago in the 90s and occasionally sells hat making supplies. This led me to a few days of watching hat making videos and really liking what I saw. Who knows, maybe I will go into making hats! They're due for a comeback anyways.

These both arrived today and I couldn't be more thrilled! I am super excited to make my own hat and I even found a whole vintage hat making kit on ebay this morning for $20 that has 2 blank smaller pillbox hat frames, one in black and one in cream, and a whole bunch of flowers and trimmings and all sorts of fun stuff. Woo hats!

Comments

Popular Posts