My Vintage Glove Collection

So this year has been weird, amirite? Anywho, in February we went to Flea Land in Bowling Green, KY with a couple we had met in town on what I liked to call our 'second date'. haha. Anywho, during our hunting for deals I found a pair of vintage gloves in a booth for $15 and these things were niiiiice. It was my first taste of the vintage glove bug. I passed on them because my 'date' talked me out of it. I was willing to buy them and ever since I have been kicking myself for not picking them up.

Fast forward a month and a half. I recently found a new channel on youtube, The Closet Historian. Dude, she's pretty awesome when it comes to anything vintage and probably pretty awesome in other aspects of her life but I've only watched her vintage related content currently. Anywho, I watched a video on vintage accessories and she mentioned gloves and how much she pays for them on average and where she buys them. Etsy is her main mode of purchasing so I decided to peruse the Etsy-verse to see what I could find. Most pairs I found ranged from $5 to $12 but then I came upon a listing for 8 pairs for $19. Naturally I thought something was wrong with them and I had already cut out a pair of gloves because I was going to make them myself. I still am, but I wanted to buy a pair to see how they were made and to make sure I was making them correctly. Thar be some small seams on gloves. O.o

Anywho, I looked the listing over and looked at the pics and was trying to talk myself into buying them. I decided that if they were still there in the morning that it was fate and I would buy them. Morning came and there they were, so I bought them. A few hours later when the husband woke up, he asked if I had bought them and I said yes. He said he was going to buy them overnight but had contacted the seller to see if she would take less because her listing said she was open to negotiation. I didn't want to haggle cause I thought the price was good. I thought it was so sweet that he tried, though. Always on the hunt for a bargain, that one. :-) I got a reply from her later that afternoon but she said something about already being charged fees and whatnot, so I said to just send them. I didn't really care.

This was a week ago. I got them on my birthday and looked them over while taking calls at work. You'd think with a pandemic that forces everyone to stay home that said people would be saving money, but we're busier now at work than during Christmas time. Its insane. Anywho, the new gloves helped distract me from the rage monster bubbling up inside. The only negative part of the whole thing was that these things reeked of smoke. Like, its almost as if she took a drag and blew it into the bag before sealing it up. I did a preliminary look over but then shoved them right back into the bag until I got off work to give them a bath. I think most people would be upset, especially if you had allergies. I always wash crap before wearing anyways, so it was no biggie.

Anywho, after a gentle hand bath I laid them out on my ironing board to dry and this morning I tried them on, even though they were still damp. They all fit! Well, except for this one tiny pair of crocheted gloves. They're also the only ones with a tag and also the only ones who didn't clean up super well. The tips of the fingers are pretty grungy on those. But since they're too small for me to wear, I will keep them as part of my vintage clothes collection, which only consists of these and some bitchin aprons my mom found for me. I will probably oxy them and see if I can at least get them cleaned up some more. The others are almost pristine. I really think I got a steal which is weird because she had 2 separate pairs also for sale that look just as good, but they're $5 each. Go figure. One of the gloves has a teensy hole on one finger which I will veeeery carefully try to fix with some woven stay tape. Otherwise they are beautiful! But don't take my word for it... see for yourself!



These are your classic short gloves. Look at the pretty little bows and tiny buttons! These have a tiny piece of elastic on the inside of the wrist that is getting kind of loose like old elastic does, so eventually I might take them apart and replace that little piece.


These might be my favorite of the 8. They're another short pair but these are a slight beige color and the back of the hands are this delicate lacy looking material. The palms are a very light airy material. These are missing one button on one of the gloves and I went looking through my button stash and found a ton of cute shank buttons for when I make my own gloves, but I never found a matching button. The husband suggested I just replace both of them but I haven't found a pair of buttons that I like enough to use yet.


These guys are slightly longer than wrist length, but only slightly. These are pretty standard but have 3 pintucks on the backs of the hands. I really like how simple they are and the ever so slightly longer length. These also have a weird streak on one palm that looks like an ink pen was swiped across it. I'm going to try to work on that a little more but its not a deal breaker since the palm will be getting dirty anyways.


These guys are really sweet. I call them my 'evil eye' gloves because of the design on the wrist. Its done in thread in a cool pattern that looks slightly like eyeballs. They're wrist length.


These are the only ones that I cannot squeeze into. They're crocheted (I think... feel free to correct me) and kinda stained on the finger tips. These guys are the only ones that have a label.


The label in question. haha.


These are another pair of wrist length ones. They have a little pearl button on the inside of the wrist.


These are my only pair of ruched gloves and they are in a beige/taupe color. They are slightly longer than the wrist because of the ruching. These are the ones that have a teensy tiny hole on the palm side of one of the fingers. Its pretty far up towards the tip and I think I can iron on some woven stay tape and 'patch' it up.


And last but not least is my pair of elbow gloves. Technically I have some elbow length gloves that I got for Halloween one year and they occasionally make a come back for one costume or another. But they are not vintage, so... lol. These also have one tiny spot that looks like ink pen near the end of one of them but you can't really see it unless I point it out. I'll still try working on that a little. I want them to be in the best condition possible because not only are they old, but it will help them last a long time, too. I can't be throwing money away all willy nilly. I take pride in my cheap crap. lol. My husband occasionally sells vintage toys on ebay and he will take great care in packaging even the cheapest thing he sells because he says if you treat it like it means a lot, when they open it and see the care you took to pack it, they will feel good about the whole experience. I agree 100% because I get mad when we buy something we consider expensive and it shows up in a box with little to no packaging. Not only could it have been damaged, but you didn't give a shit enough to even semi pack it?? Gee, thanks, asshole. Bottom line, take pride in your crap. Sorry. End Rant. haha.

All of these are super soft and I am quite excited to start wearing them. That was not my intention in purchasing them oddly enough, but a happy accident instead. I have already cut out my first pair of homemade gloves in a pretty dark blue, but its just for a test. I mean if they go well, wearable muslin yay!

Comments

Popular Posts