Open Pillbox Hats

Really tho, TAKE AWAY MY PHONE. haha. I found this lot of vintage hats on Ebay for $16.25 shipped, making these $5.41 a piece. Not bad for some old ass hats, but I found an even better lot. More on that to come. But for these hats, I kind of bought them on impulse on one of the last days of my vacation. I thought the price was good and when my phone alerted me that the auction had a few minutes left, I made a bid and won them. No one else was bidding, so I didn't have to fight for them. 

I. Am. Not. A. Fan. Of. Bidding.

Seriously though, if I see something I like and its not a 'buy it now' option on Ebay, I'm gone unless its something really, really good. I am not a fan of sitting around for days and wondering if I am gonna win said item. And I hate being the highest bidder and then someone comes in at the end and bids and wins. I want to know if I am going to get it from the jump and not get my hopes up. However, since no one had bid on this and it had like 5 minutes left, I bid and won it. But enough of my weird Ebay buying habits. Here are the hats!


Hat #1. This one is a sparkly black with a gorgeous veil with little black dots thoughtout. 


                                                  Simon says 'Ooh, its so purdy, mama!'


The top of the hat with the tiny bow.
                                                   The top of the hat with the tiny bow.


Union made label. This is how I found this lot, actually. I briefly was into looking at 'Union Made' vintage hats and thought that was all I was wanting at the time. But a lot of vintage hats either have no label or the few that do are either these union ones or some fancy designer one. The lot of 20 hats I got has 2 labels in the whole lot. Its not important to me but I like having some of the union ones because they have some history in them. 


Hat #2. This one I really like because the veil has these little leaves on it. Its so nature-y but in cream. This one is a little worse for wear because it was a bit misshapen and the veil has some holes in it. Again, not a fan of veils with glasses, but this would probably be an exception because of the leaves. Its a tiny detail that really makes it stand out.


Goopy was unimpressed. Also, the very top has a leaf on it.


                                                                    Misshapen-ness.


Hat #3. I honestly thought this one was going to have a puffy-ness to it because the pictures were kinda crappy on the listing. However, its all stiff! The top is like a sinamay material and it might be because I have no idea. haha. And the trim is a kind of loosely woven ribbon with a pretty purple ribbon winding through it. I like it a lot more once I saw it in person.


                                                                    The top. Stiffness.


The insides. This one has those little weird ear flap thingies that I assume are to help keep it on your head. I mean, I guess they do a little. This one is also the first I saw that has the veil in 2 flaps that you can tie in the back under your hair or under your chin, I guess. In the lot of 20 hats, 6 of them have veils like this. I saw that lot after I purchased this one, but I do believe they were bought on the same day. Hey, I was on vacation aaaaand drinking while sitting on the porch with Moo. I can't say that she was a bad influence, but she certainly was not stopping me. haha.


So honestly, I didn't really care for them and pretty much instantly regretted the purchase. I had to go back and look the listing over multiple times and convince myself that I would like them. And after a few days, I felt better. I didn't have any of these kind of hats yet and the other larger hat lot that I bought (I know, I know... more on that soon) didn't have any of these type of hats in it. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I like this style of hat! This is one of my 3 top styles. The worst part was that I bought them on May 2nd but they did not get delivered until May 15th. That is 1 day shy of 2 weeks... They didn't get scanned for 8 days in the middle of that timeline. Its like when they got to this one town in Indiana, they disappeared. Then finally the tracking said they had made it to good 'ole Tennessee all of a sudden. But at least they made it. My larger hat lot did something similar; once it got to Illinois it just stopped dead. It wasn't scanned again for 12 days. Then it showed up in Tennessee finally and was delivered 4 days later after going to the wrong town with a zip code one number off from ours. Weird. But they are all here safe and sound now, so its all good. They actually arrived today, smelling strongly of smoke but intact for having been in the mail since the 9th. Today is the 26th. I was surprised they did not arrive crushed after being in the system for that long. Post on them to come soon with pics! 

Comments

Popular Posts