Simplicity 5891 Review



Ok, ok. So I know in my last post, I talked about embracing the 40's, but this pattern was already cut out before I came upon that decision. This is from the 60's which I also like, so there.



I got this pattern from my Mom (thanks, Momma!!) and really wanted to make it ever since. I was kind of organizing my sewing area a little bit and ran across this cool feather print fabric in shades of blue and green. I am pretty sure I bought this from Hancock Fabrics before we moved and before they went under. I have been holding onto it for a few years now and I decided that this would look so cute in the Simplicity 5891 pattern. I made View 2.



I love blues and greens and birds, so this fabric was a great find! This pattern was pretty easy because I left out the facings, so it only consisted of 5 pieces, 6 if you count the pockets I added. How did this not come with pockets?! Anywho, instead of using a facing for the armholes, I just used bias tape in a navy blue and for the neckline I serged the neck tie to the neck (right sides together) and flipped the seam to the inside and understitched it to help it stay in place. I did not topstitch it because that doesn't seem to work well with collar areas for me. I did iron it to help it look better and I think it lays beautifully now.


I realize it looks a little wonky on the left side, but that was my bad for not looking at the pictures when I was taking them. O_o It lays flat, I promise! I didn't put it on the mannequin very well. Next time I might make the neck tie in a contrasting color, like solid black or something. It kind of disappears in the print.

Anyways, I serged all the seams to make it look as nice on the inside as it does on the outside.



I kind of wish this were a little lower of a neckline, so next time I might just take it down a tad. The length is good because I gave it a 2" hem, so it hits right below the knee. Otherwise, it fits pretty good! Its a little loose in the bodice area, so next time I might take it in at the side seams just a little. For now, I have an elastic belt to help it look a bit more shapely. This is literally the only elastic belt I own and it happens to be in a color that goes perfectly with this dress! I have elastic belts on my list for the thrift store anyways because I want to wear a belt sometimes with my dresses. However, with the waist cincher, I have a hard time because I don't have any belts that small. They're all for my hip area, not my waist. Totally different measurements. I do have a leather hole punch, so the husband suggested to make one of my belts smaller with that punch, so I may experiment with my current belts.

Comments

Popular Posts