McCalls 6462 Review/ That 40's Show

This pattern has been in my stash for a long ass time and I thought it was high time to make it. I really wanted a fun little dress in a knit that I could just toss on. Insert McCalls 6462!



This was a fairly easy pattern except for the 'straps' because you kind of pin them in place and adjust as needed. They never seemed to lay right until I undid the gathering on the straps and undid the topstitching at the neckline. Weird, but it helped. I also sewed them on at a slight angle, which helped the neckline part lay a bit flatter. Its still not 100% flat, but its not going anywhere when I move around. No accidental boob slippage. That will be completely on purpose.

Anywho, here she is!






The only thing I hated is the stupid lining. It almost never seems to lay flat. Not that you can ever tell from the outside (I think. I hope), but it frustrates me to no end. I am less worried about having a lining in things now that I have my serger and the seams look so nice, but for this one I wanted a lining for the skirt because the fabric was semi see-through. And I decided to just line the whole thing because I'm obviously a glutton for punishment. Plus for the skirt lining I was a little short on fabric, so I ended up folding the fashion fabric to the inside to hem it and now the whole thing is too short for my liking. I mean, I'll wear it to work since I don't leave the house, but I don't think this one will see the light of the public.


I hate you... seriously





Ugh.

I. hate. lining. dresses.

So I had some issues with it, but the pattern itself was pretty easy. The issues I had are totally my fault. Only 2 bodice pieces, 2 skirt pieces and the pocket piece. Yeah, she's got pockets, bitches! haha. I really like the way it looks and I love the full skirt, so for the next one I will definitely make sure to make it the regular length and I will try my damnest not to need a lining. I just really loved this blue knit that I bought from Surge Fabric Shop, but I had bought it on clearance and I only bought a yard, so it was not enough for a whole dress. I had a ton of this pretty light blue flowery fabric, and I thought it matched decently. I still have a lot of the blue flowery fabric, so I am sure I will make a dress out of it eventually.

Speaking on that, I have decided on a decade that I want to focus my vintage-ness on. I shall now be a 40's woman!

(hold for applause)

It started with my hair. I was looking for a vintage-y hairstyle for everyday and decided on a 'pulled back from my face in the front and just long in the back' kind of look. Like a fancy mullet. I saw a few photos of ladies from the 40's wearing a similar style. It got me looking more into 40's fashion and makeup and I realized that I am already doing the 40's makeup thing, very little, so that's cool. I also did not realize that the 40's were the time when the pin-up became more widespread, which makes sense with World War 2 and all. Aaaand I have been getting into the pin-up thing lately, so yay.

I guess I never thought about the war that much because it was so long ago. But the whole 'make do and mend' philosophy really hits home for me. I just feel like that is my time because it all feels so familiar. So I will try to incorporate more 40s patterns into my wardrobe. I do have some actual vintage patterns from the 40's, but not many. However, I have a few patterns that are very similar, so with a little tweaking they should be just fine. I'm still trying to talk the husband into the short tie look from that time, but I don't think he's going to go for it. (sigh) A girl can dream, right?

More on that soon. :-D

Comments

Popular Posts