5 Year Blog-iversary!!!!

((Insert fan girl screams))

This friday the 28th marks my 5 year anniversary of this blog!! It also marks the 11 year anniversary of my first date with my husband. We don't celebrate that or anything, but I just always remember the date. The beginning of the end. haha. ;-)

It is really because of a crappy job that I started sewing so much anyways. I used to come home so angry or upset everyday and I needed something to take my mind off the shit-storm that was my job. I borrowed my moms sewing machine to toodle around with and fell in love! Not long after, my husband bought me my first actual machine and it took off from there.

Anywho, I was just reflecting on how much has changed in the past 5 years. In the past 5 years I have:

*Watched countless youtube videos on sewing techniques, products and just random information about anything sewing related I could find. I am still watching and learning something new everyday.

*Taken online courses for sewing techniques. I have taken the Burda Style 'The Perfect Fit: Tailoring Course' and also the Craftsy classes 'Sewing Bras: Construction and Fit' and 'Sewing Panties: Construction and Fit.' I have also watched a few smaller ones during the free Craftsy weekends, such as 'Sewing Lingerie: The Essential Techniques.' I did not get to finish that one, but I loved everything I got to watch. I do want to go back and buy that one when its on sale.

*Bought tons of sewing books and magazines, mainly from estate sales and the thrift store. I also read a lot of sewing blogs, especially if I am wanting to start a new pattern and someone has already blogged about it. Loads of good tips and tricks.

*Bought tons of sewing notions, mainly used ones, whether or not I thought I might ever use them. That has proved to be handy, because I usually end up using them for something or another. I used to buy more estate sale stuff, but there are not many of those out this way or I am working that day, so we never get to go to them anymore. Now I mainly rely on what the thrift store has or I have to resort to buying online. Or, my favorite, when I take a trip down the mountain and I get to shop with my momma. Not only is it waaaay more fun to shop with her, but it also helps to see some stuff in person.

*Bought a new house! We bought our first house and it has 3 bedrooms, but since it is just us and the cats, we both get our own room to do whatever with. That means instead of being squished into a tiny corner of a tiny room in a tiny duplex, I now have my own office/sewing/crafting room. I do work from home for HSN, so I have a designated 'office' spot with my computer and phone, but the rest of the room is all kinds of sewing/crafting stuff. It feels so much nicer to be more spread out and somewhat organized. It was havoc sewing in the duplex because it was all kinds of teensy tiny.

*Started stamping and card making. I took a class in Carthage on a whim one day and fell in love with stamping. It is so much fun and there are so many techniques to try. I am not very good at it yet, but I am always learning something new and playing around. It is a lot of fun so far!

*Practiced everything!! I usually see something I want to try and go at it full force. Like the recent panty parade that I have been making. I tried making some a few years back and they were just not 100% awesome. But when I recently discovered Madalynne had made some new panty patterns, I decided to give them a go. AND THEY ARE AMAZING!! I did not care for her first 2 panty patterns, but I waited and it was well worth the wait. These are so much more my style and they fit so much better than those previous ones. The point is that I kept trying and practicing and in the end I am completely happy with my panty sewing progress. I now have 7 pairs of my own handmade panties and that makes me so freakin happy!!

I feel like now that I have mastered the panty, I am now able to wear an entire outfit that I have made myself, minus the footwear. I was actually looking at a his and hers sock loom set that we sell at work, so who knows. I might be making socks soon, too. Next up: making my own shoes! ;-P

So overall I am so glad that I started sewing as a hobby to unwind, because it is now my life!! When I started stamping and making cards, even if I received a new stamp set or some new inks, if there is a sewing project that I was working on, it takes priority. There is a kind of high you get from making something yourself, especially when it rocks! Maybe that is why we end up making most of our Halloween decorations, too. Its just so much more satisfying to know we made it ourselves. Even if its a fail or a nailed it, its still satisfying to me. So thank you crappy ex-job for bringing sewing into my life.

Here's to the next 5 years. <3

Comments

Popular Posts