Help Center Cloche Hats

Recently on a trip to one of our local help centers, we came upon 6 totes overflowing with hats. It was as if someone had a massive hat collection and it was all donated at once. So of course we dug through the totes and I actually came away with 2 vintage looking hats. Now I am not much of a hat person besides a sun hat for protection when I'm in the yard and a baseball hat for riding in the truck since we have no a/c. But these were so cute and only $.50 a piece!

I got to googling just what kind of hats these were. It turns out they are cloche hats, 'cloche' being French for bell because they are bell shaped. These were popular in the 20s, but they don't seem to be very popular anymore. It's a shame because they look very coquettish to me, the way they can be worn kind of low on the eyes.

Anywho, here are the hats in question:





Aren't they cute! Both say they are made of wool and while the red one is stiff, the brown one is soft and packable. The brown one is also a little tight, but I'm going to try to stretch it out a bit.

I found some cute ones on Modcloth and Sears. They're on sale but I can't justifying spending $14 or $20 or anything over fifty cents. You can't beat that! I'll just have to keep checking the thrift stores and help centers for another one in a less bright color so maybe I can wear it with more things.



I can see getting some use out of these in the spring and fall and maybe the winter, too. The red one is so not me because I'm not a giant fan of red, although I think goes well with my hair. But I can see wearing the brown one more often. So here's to getting out of my comfort zone and accessorizing with hats!

Comments

Popular Posts