Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book Part 2

I was sick recently, which almost never happens, so I parked my butt in front of the TV and came across an episode of Sew it All that I had not seen before. On it, they had some tips for making this pretty dress with a lovely neckline. The neckline reminded me of something I had seen in Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book, so I went a lookin'. I found her Floral Surplice Dress and thought it looked about the same but with the pencil skirt option. I had bought this lovely dark green knit from the thrift store and had a ton of it, so I began constructing a dress.


The bodice part of the Floral Surplice Dress and the pencil skirt from the Cashmere Peplum Dress


That dark green, tho. It almost has a slight shimmer to it.

This dress was easy to construct, having only 8 pieces including a bodice facing and a fully lined skirt. I'm not a giant fan of the facings on the bodice because I prefer a fully lined dress (even though I rarely make one) but it turned out pretty good.


Yes, I added a purple zipper. I didn't have one that was a matching color in that length, but its lapped so you don't (usually) see anything from the outside. Work with what ya got. Like I ever leave the house anyways.

The only part I didn't like was the pleated area at the bust. It just didn't look right. I think it would have been nicer with a bit of gathering instead of the pleats, but I made it work. I love the way the neckline lays with its gentile curves and the pencil skirt looks pretty good, too.



The only problem I have is that it's a bit too big, which is an OK problem to have. Better than the alternative, for sure. I already took in the skirt a little but it's still roomy. Not to worry, though. It'll just be comfy for when I'm sitting on my butt at work.




The lining tucked into the hem. Fancy schmancy.


It would be ironed if this hadn't happened...


"Iron me like one of your French cats, mommie." <3

So overall, I really like this dress and would love to make it again in a slightly smaller size.

Comments

Popular Posts