The Chair List

It was my weekend off and I was making myself a gallery wall in my sewing room/office. Once it was done, I decided I wanted a few more gallery walls because I had spent years amassing a collection of pictures and stuff to hang on walls and I finally had a place to put it all. On one of the smaller walls I only wanted to add a couple of things to the picture that was already there, but that is where the chair sat. Against that wall. And it looked bad. So bad that I moved it every single time I wanted to take a picture. I decided then and there that was enough. The chair had to be cleaned.


Shudder...

For those of you unfamiliar with 'the chair', it is a place a lot of sewers have where their unfinished projects go. Sometimes called 'the pile', this collection of UFOs will sometimes sit for months or years. I usually work on something until I hit a snag, like it doesn't fit right or a design doesn't line up correctly. Then I get frustrated and toss it onto the chair. I was sick of looking at the chair. So sick that I made a list, aptly named 'The Chair.' And on this list I wrote what each item was and what needed to be done to each piece.



During the holiday season, I don't have much time to sew. And my holiday season starts in October, for Halloween of course. I spend most of October decorating and working on Halloween stuff and once that's over I go into Christmas mode. We usually skip right over Thanksgiving because I have to work that day. We might make a mini Thanksgiving dinner at home, but we don't get to see family. This is also the time work starts getting busier, so I don't have time to think about sewing during work and the last place I want to be after a hard week is back in my office/sewing room, so I usually don't do any sewing between Halloween and Christmas. This makes me sad because I love to sew, but if I get stressed about work or the holidays in general, I avoid my room like the plague.

This is where the list comes in handy. The list is comprised of generally small-ish things I can do to finish an item. So I still get to sew and also finish something that's been sitting for forever. I love Love LOVE finishing a project. That feeling of accomplishment. Mmm Hmm. Since making the list, I have already finished one skirt and an halfway through another skirt. Woo hoo!! I think the list helps me see that this item only needs a zipper and a final hemming while this item only needs pockets added. It helps a ton to see exactly what needs to be done and I can gauge the time it will take to finish each thing. Progress! The Chair will be clean in no time!!

And here is the first gallery wall, in case you're interested.


Before...


During...


And after!! It was so much fun!!

Comments

Popular Posts