Schmexy Dress




I have actually made this pattern twice, but not in the view D, so I thought I would give it a go. I made view C twice and loved it, and I loved the look of view D, but I never had any fabric that I could picture in this. A trip to the thrift store changed all that why I spied this beauty.



Holy cow this is some nice feeling fabric! It reminds me of the silky black and white top that I made. It feels so nice against my skin that I did not even want to line it as the pattern suggested. I did finish all the seams inside so it would look nice and feel even nicer. I let this hang for 24 hours before hemming the bottom. I also put pockets in as the pattern suggested, but it made the hips stick out all weird like, so I took out the pockets.


ugh... baggy looking hips

Oddly enough, for the 2 slim skirts it says to add pockets, but for the fuller skirts it doesn't mention pockets. I've added pockets to the fuller skirt both times I've made it. I also added a tiny black bow right at the center of the bust. I was sitting at my desk at work and I had a tiny piece of black ribbon just sitting there, so I made it into a bow and thought I might put it on this dress. It's hard to see with the flower print, but I know it's there.



I love the collar!!

The sleeves had some small pleats!

I also did an invisible zipper, which I haven't done in a loooong time. It came out ok, but I had to redo it a couple of times. I forgot to iron out the zipper before trying to stitch it on so it didn't sew nicely. Then the invisible zipper foot was acting wonky because the last time I used it was on my mom's machine, so the husband had to whittle at the foot to get it to fit. Looking back, we shouldn't have done that, but I didn't know at the time that I would eventually have my own machine. So now it works, but you have to watch it or it might move a little and get stuck under the needle. That's a fun sound.

I really like the way this fits, but I have to admit that I like the fuller skirt a bit better. This slimmer skirt seems to wiggle up when I walk, and maybe it's because the fabric is so thin and shifty. Maybe if I used a thicker weight fabric it might stay put a bit better. I'll have to try out and let you know!

Comments

Popular Posts