Waist Cincher/ Butterick B6643 Review

For the past few years I have wanted to buy a waist cincher. I remember talking with a coworker at my last job about getting one before I really got into the retro-ness. Maybe I can blame it on good ol Sir Mix-a-Lot or Jessica Rabbit. I always thought my waist should be smaller just to have that hourglass shape. So when one of my favorite sewers/pattern makers came out with a pattern for a cincher, I was ecstatic! Then the Big 4 had a pattern sale for $3.99 a piece so I grabbed it and a couple others.


I glanced at the glove instructions and it just might be the most complicated pattern I have ever bought. More to come soon on that petticoat. ;-)

So I had purchased some spiral steel boning from Cherington MetalCraft a few months ago and wasn't sure where to use it first. Once I had cut my teeth on the sewable rigilene in the Tiki Dress, I figured I was good to go on the steel kind. It was pretty different because it came on a roll and you cut it to length and then cap the ends. The cutting part was easy, but the capping was a bit tricky, only because you have to squeeze all the sides of the cap at the same time. They have a tool for this, but I don't own said tool. So with my two pliers in hands, I got the hang of it by the 3rd cap.



For the main fabric itself, I chose this lovely scrap that my husband and I got at this estate sale. This lady had a fabric stash room (yes, a whole room just full of fabric) that would make any sewer jealous. We went for a set of sewing books, which we got, and left with a good amount of fabric and a vacuum sealer for the kitchen that we use all the time. That was a good day except I had thought someone else was going to snatch up those books, so I found them first and then had to carry them during my fabric search and while looking around the rest of the sale.


All those tall ones on the left... 14 of them. The Art of Sewing. Kinda heavy and cumbersome to hold while looking through fabric.

Anywho, I picked up a few of the most lovely asian looking fabrics, most of which were at least a couple of yards, but there was a large paper bag of scraps that I also picked up because it had these pieces of blue fabric with like a leaf design on them. For all of these asian fabrics, they almost seem like silk. I am not an expert on fabric types, but these all behave just like the one piece of fabric in my stash that I know is silk. They all have a decent weight to them and ironing them is tricky. I dunno.


The chosen one. This one had the least amount of fabric, so I chose it. Plus, I like blue.


This one is pretty bitchin with the fish on it. I'm just not a huge gold fan. Might be cool to pair it with the gold leaf design one that I have.


Kind of hard to photograph because they are all shiny. But this one is the one I have the most of. I will most likely make this into a dress but it is so pretty and I can't bring myself to cut it just yet. Maybe that's what she had thought, too.


I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THE BLACK ONE I HAVE OMG IT IS SO PRETTY. Ok, calm it down... breathe...


This is the one I used for that drapey panel on the pencil skirt from last year. It has little swords on it.

The next part was finding a stretchy mesh fabric for the side panels in a similar/coordinating color. Luckily I had just received a rather large order of mesh remnants from Sweet Cups Bra Supply and in said order was a pretty decent sized piece of light gray and I thought the colors together worked pretty nicely. So once everything was cut, I had to find an interfacing for the main front panel. I am not sure if this will come back to bite me in the ass or not, but I used that super thick interfacing that I had found at a thrift store last year I think. This shit is 1/8" thick and works well for things like my hat and purse. I thought that because this is thick, it will be more sturdy. However, I don't know if it needs to be this sturdy. It was kind of a bitch when it came to adding the elastic at the top and bottom because it was so thick in the seams where this was, so next time I might omit this super thick stuff and just use a regular interfacing. But those seemed way too thin for a waist cincher. I dunno. I have never actually seen and/or held a real waist cincher or corset, so I might be wrong on the normal interfacing not being thick enough. They just look very sturdy.


Cats are helpful. Thanks, Lady Bug.

The actual construction was pretty easy, it just took a ton of steps, but they were all straightforward. It just took some time to do everything right. It was pretty fun, but I had one major problem. My waist is 30 inches. The size 12 on this pattern was supposed to come out at 26.5 inches, which I didn't think was too drastic. I cut the pattern for the 12 but when I tried it on, it was exactly 30 inches. It looked great if I were going to just wear it over a dress or t-shirt or something because it laced all the way up and looked really pretty! Buuuuut I wanted to make it for the 'cinching' part, so it needed to be at least a couple of inches smaller than my waist so I had something to shoot for. I had even sewed the seams a bit tighter than she called for because that 'silk' fabric was kind of fraying a bit on the side panel parts, so I thought it would fit even better. I was pretty bummed because to fix it would mean taking apart quite a bit of it which is not hard, but very time consuming. I wanted to wear it now, damn it! haha. So what I did was unstitch the elastic off the side seams up to the front panel, take in the side seams by 1.5 inches on each side and then sew the elastic back down, which was the worst part because you sew it on the outside and then flip it to the inside and sew it again. The side seams have a piece of twill tape on the inside to use as a casing for some of the spiral steel boning, so that had to come off and then it was put right back on over the new side seams. Again, not hard, but very time consuming.

For the elastic on the top and bottom, I used a white picot and this pretty dark blue elastic trim that I got in a bra kit from Sweet Cups. I wasn't super happy with the dark blue because I thought it didn't quite go with my color theme, but it was the closest thing. Anywho, for the ribbon to tie this up, she said to use 7 yards. I had a completely unused roll of 6 yards of this pink ribbon, so I cut it in half to use for the bottom and top laces. Again, not the same color scheme here, but you work with what you've got. And it works ok, but its hard AF to get on and off. So I went to Walmart and got two 6 yard rolls of this lovely light gray ribbon to replace the pink. I also had looked into adding a busk in the front panel, even though this doesn't call for one. I do have a couple of old corset patterns and had toyed with the idea of making one of them, but I thought a cincher would be easy for my first go around. I might modify this on another attempt and add a busk. It would be so much easier to get on and off. Plus, you wouldn't need a gob ton of ribbon for the back lacing because it wouldn't be going on over your hips or shoulders.


This is before the taking in and changing of the ribbon


The sides were kind of loose on the top elastic area, so taking it in was great all around.

I wore this for the first time yesterday on St Patties Day, but it was under my green shirt, of course. I didn't lace it up super tight because I didn't know how bad it would feel being squished all day long, which is another reason I chose yesterday as my inaugural wearing because if it were a bother, I could easily undo it under a t-shirt instead of under a dress.


I wore a tank under it because this really can't be washed with the steel boning in it, so a layer in between is recommended. I will take a proper Before and After sometime soon. Also, shout out to my mom for my amazing St Pattie's Day shirt. :-D






It was quite comfy! I measured it once I had gotten it on properly and it was at 29 inches, so I wasn't super squished and there is still a ways to go until it is completely laced. It did mess with my day a little, though, because it was uncomfortable to sit as I was used to slouching. I did a lot of reading before making this and I found a ton of good info on Lucy's Corsetry about not only wearing a corset, but tips on making them and the ways your life will change if you wear one on the daily. I had also watched almost every video that What Katie Did put out, not only because I am obsessed with them but because they have a lot of good info on all kinds of shape wear and hosiery. Katie herself does most of the videos and she had called it a 'lifestyle change' because you do have to change some stuff if you wear a corset (or cincher) everyday. Most serious cinchers wear it 23/7, only taking it off to bathe. I don't think I will be that serious about it, but I did want to try to keep some of the shape when not wearing the cincher. I found some good workout tips from Lucy's Corsetry about different exercises to help shape your waist, and once you are done working out and put the cincher/corset back on, your muscles will begin to heal themselves and somewhat take the shape a little better and hopefully semi-permanently. I did not find that I was less hungry while wearing it, but I figure that on a day that I go down to 28.5 or less I might feel kind of full or not be able to eat as much, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I love my husband to pieces, but that man thinks I am in need of a giant lunch every day. Its sweet, but there is only so much a person can eat. lol.

So that about wraps it up. Very happy with this cincher now that its a decent size and I am looking forward to making another one hopefully soon!

Comments

  1. What an interesting article, I must be completely out of the loop because I did not know about this faja. Corsets are works of art, and yours make every woman here look beautiful.
    Which things are important to Building Ideal Body Shape

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the waist trainers are readily aimed at showing off your body curves in the right places and help to lose belly fat . So, whether you are looking for overall smoothing or a targeted body shaping, they are the best solution for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 in 1 Postpartum belly belt:contains belly band, wiast belt and pelvis belt.fulfilled your needs throughout the post pregnancy recovery process. This postnatal girdle helps you restore body shape, ease postpartum discomfort, regain confidence.
    Breathable&Comfortable: High quality lightweight fabric after birth waist trainer Cinchers for women. It helps to avoid the belly band from rolling up when you seat or move, very comfortable to wear in all season and easy to clean Postpartum belly belt.


    3 in 1 postpartum recovery wraps help you to recover to the state after childbirth!
    This postpartum belt band is specially designed for women's bodies after pregnancy. Made of skin-friendly breathable fabric, super-elastic, adjustable and innovative design, suitable for abdomen, waist and buttocks to help you shrink to the pre-pregnancy curve.
    How to use to maximize the effect:
    In order to maximize the effect, staring to wear the postpartum belts and wear it as much as possible during the day and night. If you feel its slimming support and look instantly slimmer, keep wearing postpartum belt wraps until you return to your infant state or no longer need additional postpartum belt support.
    Matters needing attention:
    Aimed to women who have a natural birth, we suggest start to use simaslim postpartum belts
    after 3-7 days, as for women who have caesarean section, they should follow the doctor's advice for reasonable use, and generally recommend to use after the wound is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. simaslim 3 in 1 postpartale Erholungswickel Bauchgurt Nach Geburt
    helfen Ihnen, sich nach der Geburt wieder in den Zustand zu versetzen!
    Dieses postpartale Gürtelband ist speziell für den weiblichen Körper nach der Schwangerschaft konzipiert. Hergestellt aus hautfreundlichem, atmungsaktivem Stoff, super elastisch, verstellbar und innovatives Design, geeignet für Bauch, Taille und Gesäß, damit Sie auf die Kurve vor der Schwangerschaft schrumpfen können.
    Anwendung zur Maximierung der Wirkung:
    Um den Effekt zu maximieren, sollten Sie darauf achten, die Wochenbettgürtel zu tragen und sie so oft wie möglich tagsüber und nachts zu tragen. Wenn Sie die Schlankheitsunterstützung spüren und sofort schlanker aussehen, tragen Sie postpartale Gürtelbandagen, bis Sie wieder in Ihren Säuglingszustand zurückkehren oder keine zusätzliche postpartale Gürtelunterstützung mehr benötigen.
    Angelegenheiten, die Aufmerksamkeit erfordern:
    Für Frauen, die eine natürliche Geburt haben, empfehlen wir, mit der Verwendung von simaslim Wochenbettgürteln zu beginnen
    Nach 3-7 Tagen sollten Frauen mit Kaiserschnitt den Anweisungen des Arztes für eine angemessene Anwendung folgen und im Allgemeinen die Anwendung empfehlen, nachdem die Wunde besser ist Bauchgurt Nach Geburt simaslim Bauchgurt Nach Geburt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 i 1 Gördel Efter Förlossning efter förlossningen hjälper dig att återhämta dig till tillståndet efter förlossningen!
    Detta postpartum bälte är speciellt designat för kvinnors kroppar efter graviditet. Tillverkad av hudvänligt tyg som andas, superelastisk, justerbar och innovativ design, lämplig för mage, midja och rumpa för att hjälpa dig att krympa till kurvan före graviditeten.
    Så här använder du för att maximera effekten:
    För att maximera effekten, stirrar på att bära postpartum bälten och bära det så mycket som möjligt under dagen och natten. Om du känner dess bantningsstöd och ser omedelbart smalare ut, fortsätt att bära bälteslindningar efter förlossningen tills du återgår till ditt spädbarns tillstånd eller inte längre behöver ytterligare stöd för bältet efter förlossningen.
    Saker som kräver uppmärksamhet:
    Riktat till kvinnor som har en naturlig förlossning, föreslår vi att börja använda simaslim postpartum bälten
    Gördel Efter Förlossning
    efter 3-7 dagar, som för kvinnor som har kejsarsnitt, bör de följa läkarens råd för rimlig användning, och generellt rekommendera att använda efter att såret är bättre.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts