Frankenstein Interfacing Hat/ Simplicity 2632 Review

So I decided to make a sun hat for spring. I am all kinds of ready for warmer weather but I wanted to make sure my face was protected from the sun, so I dug out this pattern:



I didn't have a piece of colored plastic acetate in my stash, so I decided on just making the brim one piece. I'm trying really hard to not buy anything this year if I have something I can already use. Kind of tricky, but also, I'm broke. We just bought our house! Which brings me to the Frankenstein interfacing...
The brim calls for heavyweight fusable interfacing, and unfortunately I only have heavyweight tear away in 8x8 sheets. I bought a pack with my sewing machine because my machine also embroiderers. So, to continue on my year of 'not buying if I can help it', I decided to use said sheets. The only problem was that I had to piece them together because they were not long enough. The results?





The stitch I used...

It looks crappy, but it was going to be sandwiched in between the actual fabric so it's not a big deal. The rest of the hat was pretty simple to construct and took no time at all. This called for a package of 1" wide single fold bias tape, but I found an unopened package of extra wide double folded bright pink bias tape (3 yards) that kind of matched the pink on my hat, so I used that to trim the brim.



So I'm pretty happy with this hat except that it had no chin strap to keep the hat on if it's windy! So I simply pinned the last little bit of bias binding on the hat where I wanted it and voila!




I will definitely make this again! Sun hats for all!!

Comments

Popular Posts