All The... Small Things

So I have decided that I will forever be a student. I love to learn. I didn't go to college or anything, but I have always been into learning. I recently took 3 online sewing classes through BurdaStyle.com and I feel like taking some more. The first class was so/so, but the second and third one were pretty good. I did my review of the first one here and now I shall review the other two:

Class #2: Unmentionables: Draft a Panty Sloper (Block) and Sew 2 Classic Styles
This class was a series of 3 videos on drafting a classic panty (I hate that word) block, a high waisted brief and the french cut bikini. All 3 videos were very informative and the instructor went through the steps clearly and I learned a lot. Definitely worth the $20 I paid.

Class #3: Advanced Finishes Every Sewer Needs to Know: Expert Ways to Hem, Fasten & Bind
Another great class! The instructor explained everything wonderfully. We went over how to shank a button (its less violent than shanking a person), correct placement for snaps and hook & eye closures, etc. My only complaint about this class and its not really even a complaint was that I wish she had gone over zipper basics. I know how to put in a zipper, but there are always tricks and tips that I could learn.

I loved the part about bias tape, because honestly that stuff has always wigged me out for some reason. But she made it look soooo easy and I do believe that I shall be finishing some areas with bias tape from now on instead of using facings. I hate facings. They never make sense to me. I'm sure its something stupid that I forget to do, but I can't stand facings 99% of the time. I have a small bias tape maker, so I might start making my own. She also went over ways to hem something large and curved, like a circle skirt, with minimum puckering. Very worth the $20 I paid. Most importantly, this class made me realize even more the importance of the small details in sewing. Using a fancy button here or a snap closure there or making your own bias tape; all these small details make the difference between eh and awesome!! I just know that when we move one day and I have space to spread my sewing stuff out (instead of crammed into the corner of a room) that I will be able to do more details that I tend to either skip (hello pressing) or don't think of because I can't find stuff in my stash.

I almost didn't give Burda Style another shot on their classes because the first one was so pricey and I felt kind of cheated a little bit. I did learn a lot in my first class, but it had its ups and downs. And their magazine wasn't blowing me away, either. But I am very glad I stuck it out and got another 2 classes. I am learning so much!

Comments

Popular Posts