Embroider-Weeeee

It has finally been done!! The husband and I sat down and learned how to embroider on my machine this weekend and let me tell you, I think he had more fun than I did! He took a plain black button down shirt and we put some embroidery right above the pocket. It was pretty awesome because there was a lot of math involved to make sure it was in just the right spot. Before attempting it on an actual article of clothing, we did some test runs on a scrap piece of fabric. I am making a green dress and I wanted there to be a little embroidery on the bust part, so I was fiddling around with some of the pre-loaded flower patterns that came with the machine. Before hand, I gave the machine a little cleaning since I hadn't really done any upkeep in the 6 months I've been using it. Don't worry, I will be doing little maintenance days more often than once every 6 months. It was fairly simple; just remove a few screws, use some canned air or a vacuum and make sure everything looks good. I just assumed there would be more to it than that. I did the maintenance based off of the manual that came with the machine, but I even opened the cd that came with it to make sure there wasn't something else I should be cleaning. There wasn't.

So once she was all clean, I changed the needle and attached the embroidery arm thingy and we began! It kind of scared me, because every troubleshooting tip in my manual ends with 'improperly attaching said item may result in serious injury.' Naturally, I told the husband, that involves the needle breaking and shooting towards my eye. He pointed out that I was wearing glasses and that was unlikely to happen. "My neck, then... it might shoot towards my neck" I said as I cowered behind the sewing machine manual. He just shoot his head and watched the machine do its thing. It was quite fascinating.

We started easy with a flower outline. One color, nothing fancy.


It worked well, but I was looking for something a bit more Blamo! Out of the pre-loaded flower patterns, I found a 4 colored flower. Me, being not a giant fan of pink, decided to skip changing colors at all and went for a completely black flower. Its quite lovely, actually!



To date all we have done are single colored items. I do believe, however, that since it went so well, tonight I shall try another flower. But I will try using some other choice colors instead of plain black. I would have done more embroidering, but honestly I had let Spider Town go. It was a mess in there! There was fabric everywhere and pillow making materials strewn about. So late Saturday night and most of Sunday was spent organizing my sewing corner. I saw something in Real Simple magazine (a publication which I love!!) about rolling t-shirts to fit more in a drawer, so I decided to try it with my fabrics. All of my shirts hang, anyways. I rolled them all up and used twine to oh so lightly tie them so they would be less likely to unroll. I was able to fit all of my fabric into the designated drawers, but it was a tight squeeze. But at least all the fabric is neatly tied up and not haphazardly stuffed into those drawers and sitting on my desk and the chair. Now I just have to make lots and lots of things to make room in my drawers. And the weather is getting warmer everyday. Soon it will be the 'way too hot to even think about stepping foot outside' time.

Comments

Popular Posts