Not Another Bra Post

I find myself yet again in front of the computer typing out a post about a bra. And not just any bra, but Simplicity 8229... again. I can't help it! I am in love!



See??? Ugh, I need to stop. To help break myself of my addiction to Simplicity 8229, I purchased a completely different brand of bra pattern. Its no secret I love buying from Sweet Cups Bra Supply, so when I saw they had marked down a couple of bra patterns to make way for new ones, I had to jump on it! Sweet Cups is the American supplier for Bra Makers Supply in Canada, and they have their own line of Pin-Up Girls patterns including panties, swimwear and even something for the men. I have heard great things about the Shelley pattern and its power bar on the outsides of the cups for a slight push up effect, so I snagged it for $9.95. I am too excited to sew it!!


OOooohh. Pretty.

I had cut out my most recent Simplicity 8229 about 2 months or so ago. Yeah, I know. Life gets kind of weird sometimes. What had happened was that I had this lovely lace from Tailor Made Shop and I had just enough for this bra, but the back bands weren't gonna be covered by the lace all the way. And it sounds silly, but it kind of stalled me. Every time I looked at it, I got sad. It was so stupid, but that's what happened.


I decided on turning the remaining lace so the scalloped edge went towards the hook and eye instead of the bottom, and that's where the trouble began... It turned out find in the end, but man did it bum me out. lol

I'm not proud of waiting so long, but what can I say? So I completed other sewing projects in those 2 months and just kept skirting around this bra. Then we got another free trial of Netflix and then a free month of this wrestling subscription, so I was spending maybe an hour sewing and then we would watch stuff. Why wrestling, you ask? Side Story Time!! We used to watch wrestling when I was a kid and my husband did when he was a kid long, long ago (haha) and he kind of got back into thinking about wrestling after our trip to Flea Land in Bowling Green KY because there were quite a few of the old action figures he used to have as a kid. Flea Land is Kentucky's largest indoor flea market and it is so cool! They had their first ever Toy Fest and we talked to so many awesomely nice folks about vintage toys and he bought some stuff and just the whole atmosphere was so much fun. And it was air conditioned!! After driving an hour and a half there with no air in the truck, we needed some A/C. Plus they serve the most yummy looking food, so the next time we go (hopefully soon) I will be getting a funnel cake or some of their tots or something!

Aaaaanywho, after about a week of not sewing hardly at all, I went back in full force, determined to at least work on that bra. And after a couple of months of not being able to even look at it, I was able to pick it up and just sew like nothing was wrong. The silly part that bothered me before didn't bother me anymore! And I finished on the last day of July, just in time for #BRAugust2019 on Instagram. I have been wearing it for a few weeks and I can say that I love it just like the others! This one fits like a dream and I was able to test some of the new cut and sew bra foam from Sweet Cups. I couldn't tell any difference in the way it sews and feels, but I know this version is cheaper than the other one they carry, but this new one is only in base colors like black, white, chocolate and beige. The regular foam comes in such pretty fashion colors and is still really cheap to add some smoothness to your bra. This time, however, I joined the pieces of foam differently...





I had read about joining foam this way to reduce bulk because sewing with foam is just a smidge thicker than fabric, but when you have 2 pieces of foam and then 2-4 pieces of cup fabric and/or lining, it can get kinda beefy. So this way you just join them with a zigzag stitch and it basically eliminates any extra bulk. Its ridiculously easy and I will probably be doing it only this way from now on. The fashion/outer fabric was sewn normally as would the lining if I had decided to line it.

I also decided not to line it on the inside and it has been so super comfy. I also used salvaged rings and sliders from this poor green bra from the thrift store that was on its last leg. Seriously though, the strap elastic was so worn out that when you pulled on it, it didn't bounce back. I bought it because no one should wear that. Once the elastic gives way, its basically done. But I can reuse some of the parts, so yay! I also used some pretty picot for the under arm edges and also the edges on the back bands since that lace was turned the wrong way. I think it came out ok. I don't completely love the bottom elastic on the front band part because its not the same color as the rest of the insides. I really prefer the insides to be all the same color. Its just my thing.





Otherwise, I love it! Its got great coverage and is very comfy. It is still my go to bra out of the few patterns I have, but I am stoked for the Shelley!! That new new. I already have the pieces cut out and ready to sew!

Comments

Popular Posts