Mother's Daughter Suit

If you have not watched the video for Mother's Daughter from Miley Cyrus, go watch it now. I will wait...

..............
...................
........................

Ok, done? Sweet. Can we talk a minute about how amazing this video is?!? Ok, back to sewing related stuff. Actually this is related to that video because in it, she and her mother both wear these amazing skirt suits and ever since I saw the video I have become obsessed with those suits. I really love the one Miley wears, but I dunno about the short jacket for practical wear. I mean, I only usually wear nice things at work -aka- home, but if I decide to go out in something cute, I wanted to make the longer version jacket her mom wears for practicality. Both looks are amazing, tho.



Yasssss!

Anyways, I looked through my patterns and decided on Simplicity 2154, which I have made before. Well, I made the blouse, but not the sweater or skirt. Both the sweater and skirt looked perfect except that the skirt needed to be a bit shorter. With this being a retro reprint of an older pattern, the skirt was a tad too long for the look, even though I prefer a skirt that covers my knees because I am not a fan of knees. haha. Anyways, I decided to use one of the newer fabrics I got from the thrift store recently. I scored a few large plaid pieces in a bag for $4 and I had a hell of a time choosing between them.



But I ended up going for this one...

The 3 amigos.

Ta-da! We have a winner. Plus it was the only one that had enough yardage for this project. So for the skirt it was super easy; just a pencil skirt with 3 pieces... front, back and waist. I actually had a zipper that was 7 inches long aaaand in a semi-matching color.



The skirt took a couple of hours to cut out and assemble and boom! I had to try it on with whatever I was wearing at the time, which was a Yoshi shirt. I think it matched pretty well together. Plus New Boy being in the pic was just icing on the cake.


Chonky boi.

Now for the jacket. That one was a bit trickier because the under arm had a gusset of sorts which was weird. So the front and back pieces both included the sleeves and then there was a side piece (hehe) that tied them both together. Not literally tied... Anyways, that went together well and I ended up using a silk like woven from Surge for the lining. I had thought about lining this jacket because the fabric isn't completely soft. Its kind of got a little wooly-ness to it. Not too bad or I wouldn't be sewing with it. But anyways, here is the finished outfit!

                                                       
                                             
I used a gold hem tape to finish the insides of the jacket.

Look at the pattern matching! I didn't want just a random look to it so I made sure to cut it with the pattern laying on the same lines for each side. I had also thought about a neck closure, but I left it off for now. Maybe later, though.


Flap pockets. I even lined them with the same white silk like woven just because. haha. 

A small side note. I started this last year. July 17th of last year to be exact. It is now July 30th of 2020. But at least its done! I have to admit that the weird underarm area is what threw me off track. But one day I was tired of seeing it on my sewing table so I undid the seams and started over. I'm still not 1000% happy with the under arm area, but it will suffice for now. I have made my first official skirt suit! I saw a similar suit on The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (which is amazing if you have not watched it) except she was wearing shorts and a jacket with bracelet length sleeves. If I have enough fabric, I am toying with the idea of making shorts, too. But for now I'm happy with this. 


Comments

Popular Posts