Household Good-Goods

Stuff is esspensive. Especially when you're into collecting or getting into a new hobby. My husband is a collector. Mainly vintage toys that he owned as a child. But he's meticulous about trying to get every little piece of said collection. That can get pricey, but it's taken him a long time to collect these things. With me, however, I'm starting a new hobby with card making and that is proving to be expensive, too. So I have been trying to find household items that can take the place of more expensive card making parts.

Recently I have gotten a little into stamping. Ok, like a lot into stamping. Mom and I went shopping at Hobby Lobby on my last trip down the mountain and she bought me these lovely stamps.


Someone, who will remain nameless, would not get out of the shot.

Not long after, I took a very, very fun card class and have been hooked ever since. Luckily for me, I had also bought some stamping implements a few years back when one of the crafting websites had a big sale. Not sure why at the time, but I bought a clear stamp block, a wooden stamp, some rubber cling stamps and also a pad of green ink.


The smaller cling stamp is a cat's eyes and nose and whiskers. Really hard to see it.

Aaaand there they sat for a few years. Until recently, I didn't really think much about them. They were in my embellishments case that holds all my sewing odds and ends, like iron on jewels, purse making supplies and patches. But after the class and my new stamps (thanks Mom!!), I dug them out again with a renewed sense of purpose.

I also semi recently purchased a Cricut and those accessories can be pretty pricey, too. Luckily (again) I work at a place that sells Cricut stuff, so I get a discount. I still don't want to pay for something if I can find something similar around the house or a cheaper knockoff version.

The first 'knockoff' item I found was this little kitchen scraper that Mom had given us. It is wonderful for scraping things like dough off the counter or a cutting board and it is an absolutely perfect dupe for the Cricut scraper. I also use it for burnishing cards after they're folded to make them flatter.



Also for my Cricut, I needed a weeder tool and didn't want to buy one, so for a while I just used an old seam ripper. But full disclosure, I bought a set of glitter htv from work and it came with a weeder tool. It's pretty nice, but the seam ripper worked just fine, too.



This next item is for my stamps. A lot of the stamp ladies use this stamp shammy to help clean their stamps, but those things can run around $6 or so, but I saw something in my kitchen that looks like it would work the same.




I cut one quarter of it off the whole sheet because it was so damn big!

This bad boy was given to us by my mom and we've been hanging onto it for a couple of years and I'm honestly not sure why we hadn't used it before! If I had known how awesome this little dude was, I would have been using it for cleaning purposes from day one. But now I know, and knowing is half the battle. My husband would be proud if he knew I wrote that. Haha.

Mom also gave me some lint remover sheets and I use them all the time because, well, we have 6 cats. However, I also use them for masking with card making. I haven't gotten to use them much because I have not made very many cards yet, but on my tests it has turned it wonderfully. The entire back is sticky, but not overly sticky. They make larger Post-It sheets that you can use for the same purpose, but these are smaller and would probably work better for masking small areas.



Most everything else I use is found at our local help centers and thrift stores for pretty cheap, but of course the selection is very limited. But lately we've been finding a lot of little crafty things so that's very handy. Also, the clear stamp block that I bought long ago worked just fine for those cling stamps, but I wanted one with a grid on it, so I used my Cricut to print a small grid in vinyl and I applied it to one side of the block.



And yes, it is not completely straight on the block, but it is still a grid so I can still use it to line up stamps, so yeah. And now we're off to said help center to see what we can find!

Comments

Popular Posts