I Just Bought A Serger- Now What??

First off, let me start by saying that I have been wanting a serger for a couple of years now and this was no easy decision to actually buy one. I have horrible buyer's remorse, plus it can take months of saving up before we buy anything significant. That doesn't count our thrift store buys since they are usually $5 or less. Anywho, we sell them at my work and I thought I would watch the prices and see when a sale happened. We finally had a sale so I decided to jump on it... and regretted it almost instantly. I really don't like buying things for myself. The husband was very helpful, telling me that life is short (right?) and that I have been wanting one for a couple of years so I should just go for it. And really, they're not that expensive compared to most sewing machines, mine included. But still... I'm having a little buyer's remorse.


Shiny...

That being said, this thing is pretty cool so far! My dumb ass thought it would be a good idea to thread it before I used it, even though it came pre-threaded. That was fun, said no one ever. I actually had hurt my shoulder the day it showed up, which happened to be my day off which was nice. But with my shoulder being sore, I didn't want to try to mess with the machine itself, so I sat and read the manual, even though I had watched the instructional video that comes with it a few days before on youtube. I wanted to see if there were any other helpful tips or tricks in the manual. I will take all the help I can get. haha.

Anywho, that night before bed my shoulder was feeling better, so I decided to take her out of the box and just give it a once over. I just wanted to see what was what. That's when I decided to re-thread her, which was interesting and didn't take too long. I also grabbed a scrap piece of fabric and ran it through a couple of times just to see how it went. It was very fast and it looks very nice for a first go.


I ordered some thread for it and it should arrive soon, so I will get to see how it looks on an actual garment. Also, we went to our favorite thrift store/help center and bought this big desk for $10.




Throughly Inspected by Captain Piddle Pants, our newest edition and 6th cat. O.o

Holy cow were we happy to see this! They actually had 5 of them because some business was giving them away and we saw them last weekend and have been thinking about them for a week. We finally decided to go back and if they were there, it was fate and we would get one. Since they are so heavy and apparently no one needs them, they were all still available. We managed to get it home and I cleaned it up while the cats examined it throughly. The main reason I wanted this desk was for the dual cord hole thingies because I pictured my sewing machine and serger on both ends with room in the middle to piece together or cut pattern pieces or whatever!

The other reason I am so excited is because now I want to make sure my serger is covered because of the extra fibers and lint and whatnot that sergers make. It did not come with a cover or a little brush or sewing machine oil, all of which they recommend. I mean, I have the little brush and I bought some oil, but this machine needs to be cleaned often, so not including the brush is kind of a bummer. Anywho, I am gifting my sewing machine cover to my serger and I shall make a new cover for my sewing machine. And this shall be the cover!!


I am probably going to make it look like Moo because she is so pretty. Haha.

So that is my serger adventure so far. I am very excited to get to use it more and I will probably whip something up in a knit, maybe a dress, just to see how well it works on knits. And you know what? As I finish this post, I am already feeling better about the buyer's remorse. Writing therapy. :-D

Also, here are a couple of articles that I found helpful when learning up about sergers before I purchased one.

-https://grainlinestudio.com/2017/07/17/5-essential-serger-tips/

-http://sergerpepper.com/2013/05/10-best-beginners-serger-tips-10-migliori-trucchetti-per-principianti-alla-tagliacuci-2.html

-http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/serging-2/how-to-use-a-serger-2/


P.S.-THE SERGER HAS SUCTION CUPS FOR FEET!!!! This is like the best thing ever! It's pretty hard to get it to move once it's stuck to the table, so there is zero chance of accidentally knocking it over. Not that I think that would happen, but still. Woop!!!

Comments

Popular Posts