Blue plaid blouse

So when I found this blue plaid fabric at our local thrift store, I just knew I wanted to make another blouse like my green and red lumberjack blouse.

I love that blouse so much because it's so cute and comfy, so of course I wanted to make another one. But I also wanted to make something different because I have so many patterns. So I decided on a vintage pattern. Ever since I spotted this at our local thrift store, I had wanted to make it so badly, but I didn't know which fabric to use. So it sat for a few months until I got this plaid fabric. Then I knew. It was time. Time for Butterick 9961.

This pattern consisted of 5 pattern pieces for the blouse part, but I omitted the neck facing because I wanted to give this blouse a collar. Not sure why, but I wanted a collar. I had originally cut a pointed collar, but when I attached the collar it would not lay flat for shit. I was so mad. It looked so nice with the flat pointed collar. So I had to go with another collar choice, so I went with a Peter pan collar, which I'm not a huge fan of. Its more of a younger look than I was going for, but it kind of works.



This fabric was labeled as a yard, but this is from a local thrift store, so I'm not sure if they actually measure, but it's not really that big of a deal. But I didn't seem to have enough fabric to give this the 3/4 length sleeves, so I decided to give this some small sleeves out of this super soft black fabric. For the ends of the sleeves I used a fold over elastic because I liked the edge on it and I think it looks pretty good.



I cut the bow for the front detail and no matter how hard I tried, it would not look cute! It was too short and looked crappy, so I folded the straps into a bow shape and sewed them down and used a small piece of bias tape for the middle of the bow. I think it looks pretty good, but I could not get it to look like the picture on the envelope.



I also did not do the button back because I didn't want to have to enlist my husband's help to get dressed until we're much older. So instead I used a zipper. I would like to do the button part sometime, but for now it's a zip.


Simon doing his best to get in the way.

So overall, I would definitely make this again! It has plenty of room but still looks fitted. I love the little slits and would like to try version B with one bow sometime.

Comments

Popular Posts