Vintage Finds: Greist Sewing Machine Attachments

So a long while back, the husband and I were going thrifting, which seems to be a weekly or bi-weekly journey when you live in the middle of nowhere. We love it, though, because we have always shared a love of vintage junk, if you will. On one of our trips to Carthage, we stumbled upon this beauty in a store on the square.




Behold!

I had no idea what this was when we found it other than something to do with sewing. Naturally, I bought it. I don't remember the price, but I think it was $5 or less. I don't tend to spend much more than that on one item unless it is like a set of books or something uh-mazing. Anywho, when I got it home, I looked through it and thought that these sewing machine feet would look so cute as a display somewhere in my sewing room. And then they sat... for a long time... and I did nothing with them. Recently during a major sewing room re-fash, I found this box and was trying to decide which pile to place it in. I had categorized all my notions as best as I could into groups; pressing implements, ribbons, thread, embellishments, attaching implements (buttons, fabric glue, snaps, etc.) and so on. But I also had a group for miscellaneous stuff, like little sewing kits or the thing that smooths my rotary mat out. I was going to put this in my misc pile, but then I opened it up and really looked at the feet. By George, I thought I could maybe use them on my machine! Most of them fit right away, and the few that didn't were helped by the included attachment foot. Now I had a bunch of new feet to try out. And here is how that went:

The Cloth Guide:

This is the first thing in the instructions and it was the only one missing. It was one of the ones I really wanted to try because my fabric walks away from me sometimes.


The Attachment Foot:

This helped me fit the more odd feet onto my machine. Nuff said.


The attachment foot by itself...


Slide the new foot onto the attachment foot...


... and tighten the screw. Now attach to your machine!



The Adjustable Zipper and Cording Foot:



I kind of already have a zipper foot, and this one works about the same. Still nice to have 2 of them.



The Gathering Foot:



There were two of these feet in my kit, so if I need to do a shit load of gathering, I'll be all set. Not sure how it works just yet, but I shall consult the book.


The Quilter Foot:



This one is not really a foot, but more of an attachment to help you sew straight lines of equal distance.



The Narrow Hemmer Foot:



This bad boy took a bit of work to start, but once I did, it hemmed a teensy tiny hem, and all I had to do was feed the fabric into the foot. Super easy. Much easier than pressing a hem, turning it under and pressing again and then hemming. Ain't nobody got time for that.



The Hemmer Foot (1/4 inch hem):



This one might just be my favorite. Slightly easier to feed the fabric into than the Narrow Hemmer Foot, this bad boy gives a beautiful quarter inch hem.


The Edgestitcher Foot:



This foot claims to help with attaching lace to fabric edges, attaching piping, etc. I am going to try this when I make another camisole and see how it goes!


The Multiple Slotted Binder Foot:



This thing looks crazy, but it is supposed to help with attaching bias binding, so on my next binding project I shall give it a go.


The Ruffler Foot:



This thing looks like a medieval torture device, but allegedly it can make ruffles in any way, shape or form. I'm not a big fan of ruffles, but I'm gonna test it out one day. The marks on the top are for how many ruffles per stitch and the side marks are for how full you want the gathers. It also can sew the ruffled fabric to another piece of fabric at the same time that is ruffling. That's actually pretty cool!

All in all, this was a great purchase and I cannot wait to try out some of these feet! Yay thrift stores! :-D

Comments

Popular Posts