Making a Bra- Phase 1: The Prep-prep

So recently I discovered a site called Tailor Made Shop. I went here to find bra making supplies and discovered that they have a section with $5 lingerie grab bags. Naturally my interest was peaked so I bought one... And I was not disappointed. In my first grab bag, I received a pair of underwires, a bra closure set, some picot elastic and quite a few remnants of lovely stretch laces. Aaaaaand this was my first time using picot!! I actually used most of it for some panties I had made a few months back and never got around to finishing. I used a purple picot to trim a neckline of a knit blouse I made last year and it looks marvelous!



The main purpose of this kit is for making tester undies or bras. Here is what they say:

"This is an inexpensive way to stock some materials for tester bra or underwear projects!

*****NOTE***** This is not a full bra kit or underwear kit. You will have to supplement other trims or notions to make an entire bra or underwear. This is a stash building item.

Items may have slight discoloring or tiny marks or small runs. MEANT FOR TESTER BRAS AND UNDIES ONLY."


However, I found that mine came with a ton of stuff that I was able to use for other things until I bought an actual bra pattern, so I'm pretty happy. So happy that I bought a second grab bag! They don't always have them available, so I check just about every day. With shipping it comes to just over $8 and I think that's a steal for all the stuff that I got. The second grab bag didn't have much trim, but it did have more fabric!



Overall, while I wait for my bra pattern to arrive, I have a ton of supplies to dig into. I ended up buying Simplicity 8229 for the pattern because I heard good things about it and it looked like it would give good support while still looking cute. We shall see!

Comments

Popular Posts