Chilly Down Dress/ Simplicity 2580 Pattern Review

It's cold here. We even got a couple of inches of snow, which is weird for me because we never got a lot of snow when I was growing up. But since we moved up towards the plateau, its been pretty snowy so far. I even built a snowman!! We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow. At this point, I'm pretty ready for spring. I have a new house with a yard that I want to plant in, so I'm officially done with winter. But if it snows again, I won't be against it. It is pretty. Anywho, when I went looking for a new pattern to make (when I should have been fixing a UFO) I stumbled upon this gem that I have been doing to make:



I also had received this lovely silky knit fabric from a good friend of mine, Sammi, and I've been dying to make it into something pretty.



I had an upcoming day off and I was going to meet Sammi and hang out, so I wanted to finish this dress in time. I laid out the fabric and I actually had enough with some left over! This almost never happens because most of my fabric is purchased in remnants or from auctions. I was so excited!! I could even make the long ass version of this dress if I wanted to, but I'm short and I don't think maxi dresses look good on me. Moving right along...

I usually Google the pattern in about to make to see if anyone has any suggestions or hints, but when I tried to look at the version B for this pattern, I could not find one person who made that version! It's cute! What the hell, ladies?!



So I began to construct the dress which only had a couple of pattern pieces. There is supposed to be a flexible braid added onto the neckline and then you're supposed to sew on some jewels. I'm not too big on bling and I wanted the fabric to speak for itself, so I did the braid but not the jewels.

The pattern was easy to construct and super easy to sew. I thought it would be more tricky since this fabric is so cool and silky feeling, which will be so nice in the summer summer summer time!! It can get quite hot here in Tennessee. Anywho, for the neckline, I decided to make the facing white to match the armhole facing, not like anyone will see that except for me. I was making a plain old tank top and had made the facing for it, but then decided against the facing, so I had some white facing ready to go. I cut it to fit the armhole band and I kind of wanted the neckline facing to match. Plus, I was worried that this neckline was going to be too flimsy, so I wanted a more stable cotton facing that I could stabilize a bit better.

The dress went together like a breeze and feels even better!



The neckline was still lacking and since I didn't have a stabilizer to go with my facing, it was a bit flimsy. I'm sure the braid and jewels they suggest to add would help stabilize it as well, but that seemed too much, so I dug through my stash and found this button.


Before...


...And after!!

While I was digging through my stash, I noticed that it was all kinds of unorganized. I knew this already, but I didn't know how bad it was until I went looking for a button and found masses of lace and thread. I even found a triple needle!



What do you even do with a triple needle?! I actually used the double needle that came with my machine on the bottom hem of this dress which was fun for my first time using it. But a triple needle... no clue. So basically I really need to get this organized soon. I will definitely make this dress again!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts